Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Large bleach stain, worried about damage, help!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Large bleach stain, worried about damage, help!!

Pretty new to pool care after a dismal experience last summer with a small pop-up hand-me-down that never worked quite right...this year invested in a 14'x42" metal frame Summer Escapes Pro-Series, on sale at Walmart. Have had it up for 2 weeks and loving it, but went out this morning and found that our floating clorinator container had somehow tipped and chlorine tables had dissolved on the bottom, leaving a large bleach stain. Stain is no big deal, but I am terrified that it has caused major damage and we'll have a hole in the bottom soon. Any reassurance or advice? Way too big to patch... Can't afford a new one (this one was already replaced when the box was stolen out of our garage!!), and it's only mid-June in Kansas -- we need a pool for July and August! Thanks for anyone who can advise.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Large bleach stain, worried about damage, help!!

Welcome to TFP!

The pucks just bleached the color out of the liner. No need to worry about the structural integrity of the liner.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Wow, seriously? Thanks so much. I have been sick to my stomach all morning since seeing it. Sure hope you're right. Thank you!!

4. Back To Top    #4

There's lots of people with freckled liners from tossing shock powder or CYA into the pool. You're not alone.

The problem is that your water will soon be so clear that the spots will be visible from a few hundred yards away.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you both. It's more than a speckle, though. Not sure how 2 one inch tabs could have caused such a big stain. I can live with the stain (but sure will try not to let it happen again), but just didn't want a hole or slow deterioration. Another question -- with this size of above ground, how often should I need to add more water, from evaporation and just kid splashes? It's looking a little low after 2 weeks. Usually keep it covered at night but off during the day to warm the water.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Parnell View Post
    Thank you both. It's more than a speckle, though. Not sure how 2 one inch tabs could have caused such a big stain. I can live with the stain (but sure will try not to let it happen again), but just didn't want a hole or slow deterioration. Another question -- with this size of above ground, how often should I need to add more water, from evaporation and just kid splashes? It's looking a little low after 2 weeks. Usually keep it covered at night but off during the day to warm the water.
    Depends on wind and temperature and relative humidity. I can lose an inch in two days if we get those strong hot Santa Ana winds here in SoCal. It seems to be wind more than heat that does it, if that helps you any.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, that does help. Just wanted to know that it was natural, and we did have a couple of windy days this week. Thanks again for your help! Have a wonderful weekend!