What kind of Skimmer Sock do you use?

Dec 3, 2014
Cypress, Texas
Was looking on line and see a bunch of different skimmer socks out there and was wondering what other people were using and if they were happy with a certain brand/ type?
I also I seem to recall some people using hair nets and was wondering about that.
So, do you use a skimmer sock or hair net? If so, what kind and where do you get it from?
Thanks!

I use skimmer socks from the pool store. Not expensive and they seem to last a year or two each.
I don't want to add to the landfill with disposable hairnets and it doesn't take Skippy more than a minute to wash out the sock and put it back in.

I have been using THESE HAIR NETS from Amazon for about a year now in each of my two skimmers and they work great. Cost is around 6 cents each and I change them out about every 3 days or so.

Thanks for the suggestion. They work great in both skimmer and pump strainer. This spring I had a TON of spiders and dandelion-like seed balls that tied themselves around the basket openings making it very difficult to rinse, so decided to use these hairnets. MUCH easier. just pulled out the nets and smashed with my shoe to kill the spiders. Unfortunately, they are up to SEVEN dollars for a 100. almost didnt spring for them. just kidding, haha.

I don't use anything in the skimmer except in the spring when things bloom and debris is really stupid then i use hair nets. Socks in the skimmer seem to restrict a little too much for me for year round use. I do use hair nets in the bottom vac though, pack of 100 for less that 10 bucks and just throw them away at least every week or so. Way easier than cleaning socks and don't seem to restrict any different than purpose made socks...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We generally do not recommend using the nets in the pump strainer to avoid restricting the flow too much if a lot of debris gets all the way to the pump

I can see that, but i usually get very little in the pump strainer during the year. what i do get is very difficult to rinse out of the basket, hence my test use.

I stopped using skimmer socks from the pool store; my pool is surrounded by several trees and it does get messy when the wind blows...however, they are the source of algae issues; I just stopped about a week ago, but I was changing them twice a week....really dirty and messy, and unless they go in the wash machine, or wash by hand in the garage utility sink, which is really a dirty task....they are not clean enough to put back in; I've also had algae blooms and green algae yucky stuff in the leaf basket, which I have since removed from the vac hose and taken out of the pool completely. So now, I check and clean the skimmer basket daily, and the pump basket weekly, and I think that's a better way to go since we have 100-115 degree heat out here in the Phoenix area. We have also found green algae in our pool vacuum hose, which sits in the water 24/7; I simply open the Jandy valve when I need to do a quick or routine cleaning. But when its real hot out, and that hose is full of water, that has not been circulated for hours, then I have to be careful so that I don't get an algae bloom inside the hoses....and that is really messy to clean up.

I did not know algae blooming inside the hoses was even a thing, but makes sense. I take my pool sweep out for a few hours when the kids go swimming, now I am concerned about algae when I take the sweep out. :( With all that said I use what ever skimmer sock is cheapest at the time on Amazon. I usually change them out weekly. It catches a lot of tiny stuff and helps saves my filter.

I've been using a nylon for a couple years and never seen algae. You figure every drop of water that goes through the pump went through the skimmer, so if there's enough chlorine in the water, there won't be algae. There's certainly enough circulation through the skimmer.

..... I check and clean the skimmer basket daily, and the pump basket weekly, .....
I wish i could get away with that schedule! I do skimmer at least twice a day, usually morning/evening, and any time we have a very windy day; pump strainer usually every other day, sometimes longer.
I do like the cheap hair nets mentioned before, just throw them away, no need to clean them. so glad to have found them.

Looks like a hairnet or nylon is the next improvement to my pool maintenance practices since joining this site yesterday! All sorts of interesting ideas to consider. One question about vacuuming, do you still keep the nylon or hairnet in the skimmer? I was wondering if it restricts the water flow and increases pressure.

... One question about vacuuming, do you still keep the nylon or hairnet in the skimmer? I was wondering if it restricts the water flow and increases pressure.

The hairnets i'm using show no noticeable pressure change on the gauge or on water flow in the return jets, of course that might change when they trap a bunch of fine particles. But I would rather capture it there instead of sand filter.

I usually only use the skimmer to vacuum (to waste) when opening the pool. Since i have a mesh cover i usually get a lot of junk over the winter and would rather vac to waste than to filter. I dont worry about rinsing the baskets until i'm done, just dump them and keep going. When done opening, i rinse the baskets well. I use a robot cleaner for the rest of the season instead of normal vacuuming through skimmer/filter. I didnt start using the hairnets until opening was complete this year. Dont know if i will use them next year while vacuuming to waste or not, but probably not until most of the junk is gone.

Reactions: Bkamem
I have some skimmer socks and I just got some hairnets in the mail. I also use nylons when I have a pair that needs to be thrown out due to runs, but I don't wear them often enough to have a steady supply. I have a hard time getting the skimmer socks free of the pollen and fluffy milkweed like stuff without giving them a really good washing. At least with the hairnets I won't feel bad throwing them out if they caked with pollen.

I have a lot of trees in my neighbors yard and right now we have so much of those fluffy milkweed like seed things it looks like its snowing out. If I didn't use something in the skimmers I would have to clean my pump filter every couple of days. I do feel guilty about the landfill, but I have to balance that with my sanity. At least I compost a lot?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.