Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What kind of Skimmer Sock do you use?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cypress, Texas

What kind of Skimmer Sock do you use?

Was looking on line and see a bunch of different skimmer socks out there and was wondering what other people were using and if they were happy with a certain brand/ type?
    I also I seem to recall some people using hair nets and was wondering about that.
    So, do you use a skimmer sock or hair net? If so, what kind and where do you get it from?
    2016 Build: 32x8 Gunite, 6,700 gallon IG pool including 6x8 spa and 6x8 tanning ledge w/ 2 bubblers. 32' raised wall with two sheer descent water features. Travertine Coping w/ split faced Travertine on raised wall face. 2HP VS Jandy pump, 400k heater, Rainbow Chlorinator, 4 Colored LED Lights. 459sqft spray deck plus. IAqualink remote, Polarus 9350 Robot Cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: What kind of Skimmer Sock do you use?

I use knee-highs from Walgreens. They usually last for a few weeks before they develop runs when I brush them off.
    Skimmer Sock/Nylon Illustrated

Someone else will be along with a link to the hairnets I'm sure.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

I use 1 gallon paint strainers. Although will likely get the hair nets if these ever go bad.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Riverside California

I have been using THESE HAIR NETS from Amazon for about a year now in each of my two skimmers and they work great. Cost is around 6 cents each and I change them out about every 3 days or so.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

5. Back To Top    #5

Lewisberry pa

Ditto on the cheap hair nets from Amazon - like $5.69 for 100!
    In ground 24x40 "lake" shaped pool - approx.25,000 gal.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

I use skimmer socks from the pool store. Not expensive and they seem to last a year or two each.
    I don't want to add to the landfill with disposable hairnets and it doesn't take Skippy more than a minute to wash out the sock and put it back in.
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter