Help-green to clear treatment

Ok so yesterday i went to leslies pool supply and they told me to use green to clear to get my pool clear again. So i bought soda ash, green to clear and shock.
Keep in mind my pool is about 30k gallons (37x16 3.5 to 8.5 deep)
With the vacuum out and the pump running i add the 10lbs of soda ash wait 5 hours. Ph is now 7.8. Scrub the sides of the pool add green to clear half around the pool the rest in the deep end sprad around (tosses out futher) wait 5 mins add 4 bags of 1 lb shock. 12 hours is now appeoching no change in my pool should I continue treat ment or start with soda ash again and a nother treatment of geeen to clear ?

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: You've made it to TFP, so we might as well let you know right up from that we're all about testing your own water and doing things right the first time. The pool store will not do that for you. Your first priority should be to order a TF-100 test kit (link below) which is also packed with Taylor reagents. This kit is an excellent value and will give you all the testing you need. I also encourage your to upsize to the XL Option and include the "Speed Stir".

Once you provide those test results for us, I can almost bet you'll need to perform a "SLAM" as noted in the link below to clear you algae problem. This require regular liquid bleach and almost nothing else. From there, with the TF-100, we can show you how to be 100% in control of your pool. You'll be amazed of the results and how easy it is to do. Nice to have you with us.

Essentially Green to Clean adds ammonia to the pool. It will take a lot of chlorine to neutralize the Green to Clean. Do you have a current set of test results? It will be easier to advise you on what the next step should be if we know what your current test results are.

Re: Help-green to clean treatment

Thanks for the feed back. If this does not work its on to all your advice.

Leslies told me this product will work for me and if it doesnt i will be given product on the house to continue the treatment process. They said the product and instructions are backed 100%. Will see!

Any ways be for the green to clean ( missed the proper name of the product, thanks) treatment my chlorine was above a 5.0 being that i shocked the pool 12 hours ealier trying my own methods. Then after putting the green to clean in i put the 4 1lb bags of shock in then this moring I gave it a second round of 4 1lb bags of shock. Tonight at about 930 will be the last treatment of shock leslies says todo. Tested the chlorine bout 10mins ago and it was about 3.0 on my tester.

Just curious has anyone done this and what were the results ?

Each bag of "shock" you add is also adding more stabilizing CYA to your water. This is a HUGE problem and the one most common when people come here looking for help because algae has taken hold.

Please consider switching to liquid chlorine, as well as getting a decent test kit that we trust, to make the changes you need in this pool.

Well, depending on what the shock is you are adding either cal-hypo or dichlor to the pool. Cal-hypo will raise you CH level and dichlor will raise the CYA level. Too much of either will be problematic for your pool and the only way to get rid of excess CH or CYA is to drain and refill. I strongly recommend that you check your CH and CYA levels before you continue adding bags of shock. Do not let your CH get above 350ppm and do not let the CYA get above 70ppm (CYA should be in the 30-50 range for a manually chlorinated pool, but up to 70 is manageable).

Right now your pool has a high chlorine demand due to the ammonia from the Green to Clean. If you voice concerns about the CH or CYA levels getting too high they may switch you to Fresh and Clear which is a non-chlorine oxidizer. At that point I think plain, unscented bleach may be a less expensive choice.

We have several threads about people experiences with Green to Clean. Here are a couple: Leslies Green to Clean Method What is Green to Clean? Green to Clean
If you want to read more just type "green to clean" in the search box in the upper right hand corner.

Well i have done the 2nd dose of green to clean treatment and shocked again. I still see no change. In about 5 hours will be the second shock treatment than a 3rd 12 hours later. That will be a total of 8lb green to clear and 24lb of shock in 72. Something has to give. I know you guys talk about slaming the pool and proper test kits but you guys use abbreviations im not sure of. Is there someone that could guide me step by step im sorry but im new to this and the community sorry for being a pest

Everything you need to know is listed and explained in the vital links you see below in my signature. You can also get to the Pool School tab from the TFP Home Page. The acronyms. foundation of testing and understanding water chemistry is all there. The products used are basic items you've used for years, just for other applications. If you're not convinced you are ready to follow TFP methods, then reviewing those pages and some of the testimonials on the forum would be a good start. If you have any questions from there on how to take 100% control of your pool, just let us know. Have a nice day.

You are not being a pest, you are learning. It's fine :) Here's step by step, no acronyms.

1. Stop going to the pool store.

1b. Unless you have unused "shock" or any other chemicals. Then go back to the pools store, return them, get your money back. Then never go to the pool store again.

2. Buy this test kit: TFTestkits.net

3. Add one gallon of bleach (Wal-Mart concentrated is a great value, no pun intended) every day with the pump running.

4. When you get your test kit, post results here.

Re: Help-green to clean treatment

Just curious has anyone done this and what were the results ?
I'm not sure what you are asking- has anyone used Green to Clean and it worked or has anyone here cleaned up a green pool?

We have hundreds of folks just like you show up each year with a green pool. Many decide to follow our methods and end up with a sparkly clear pool. Some think the methods we teach are too hard (it does involve work) and they drift away.

There are no magic potions that will clear up your pool in a day or two. You have a huge colony of algae growing and it needs to be eradicated.

If you go back to the pool store they are going to say you didn't follow directions or you have a "special" form of algae that requires different chemicals and recomend more magic potions. Folks have recounted spending thousands of dollars at the pool store and never clearing up,their pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just as a sounding board from a recent pool store user. I did two rounds of the green to clean treatment following the instructions to the dot. Did nothing. We're on day 3 of slam and there is a light at the the end of the tunnel, or should I say clear blue water? It really does just come down to CYA/Chlorine.

YES, just chlorine for that, well you may need to get your pH in line first, then JUST LIQUID CHLORINE / BLEACH, but at a specific rate there are hundreds of swamp conversion photo threads here that started off looking worse than that and were cleared with just bleach and filtration.

We've seen pools worst than that cleared by using the SLAM method and chlorine. Yes, it can be done. But remember ... you must have either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit to do so. If you order the TF-100 (I recommend highly), ask for the XL Option because you will do a lot of testing. Also consider getting the "Speed stir". It makes mixing easy and efficient.

Also, please .... add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. Or you can click EDIT YOUR SIGNATURE. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

Will do...i do want to go back to see what they say but i will not buy a single thing, im actually going to try and get my money back complementary. Again im listing to you guys from now on, just need to ask questions and read up on all your slam tips i want to get this done correctly. one question tho before i start reading, if the chlorine is high currently should i still add the bleach or test the pool once i get the test kit then start from there? wish one of you lived close to me or even if maybe one has a Facebook i can message for tips and help?

again sorry im so desperate at this point and i cant sleep at night cause of this

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.