When to clean bottom...does it matter?

numberonenole

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 18, 2009
Woods of North Florida
I have some Crud in the bottom of my pool right now because of some rain and wind we have been having. It has also been crazy cold and it will continue to be cool and windy for the next few days so we won't be swimming anytime soon. The bottom of the pool is not completely covered, but there are some pine needles and such down there.

Should I use my automatic vacuum now to clean up what is there and then again in a couple of days, or is it ok to just wait and vacuum right before we plan to go swimming again? Thanks!

Re: WHen to clean bottom...does it matter?

It's not like it's urgent, but any kind of organic material in the pool will consume chlorine.

I have trees of all kinds all around, so if it isn't from the oak tree, its from the neigbors maple or birch or whatever...my spring is now being defined by what kind of Crud falls out of the tree next...Mine stays clean about 4 hours if I'm lucky. I'm not sure what is more cost effective, more bleach or running my aquabot more.

Well, I was all ready to go out and clean (I would feel pretty lazy since all I have to do is hook up hoses for the automatic cleaner) when I saw that a pine tree branch is now in the pool. We have had a lot of wind! And it's freaking unnaturally cold so I'm not sure how I am going to get it out. Our pool temperature has dropped 10 degrees since Saturday. When I didn't have a pool (meaning a month and a half ago) I'd be all happy to a dose of cold weather after having 90 degree heat for the past two weeks. But we've had highs of 60 and 63 and I don't remember where I stored our pants...

numberonenole said:
Well, I was all ready to go out and clean (I would feel pretty lazy since all I have to do is hook up hoses for the automatic cleaner) when I saw that a pine tree branch is now in the pool. We have had a lot of wind! And it's freaking unnaturally cold so I'm not sure how I am going to get it out. Our pool temperature has dropped 10 degrees since Saturday. When I didn't have a pool (meaning a month and a half ago) I'd be all happy to a dose of cold weather after having 90 degree heat for the past two weeks. But we've had highs of 60 and 63 and I don't remember where I stored our pants...

Weatherman says most of Florida is in for a heck of a lot of rain. wind, and cool weather the next few days. I's say skim in every day, maybe just leave your cleaner in and run it an hour a day and clean up the mess next week. Brush op using your test kit, some parts of Florida could get 3"-5" inches of rain. Pool stores must love that kind of weather.....

Knowing that you have rain, wind (more stuff blowing in) on the way, I suggest you bump up your FC a little to help compensate.

It's just 'staying ahead of your water' and helping prevent more work down the road. :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.