Gunite vs Fiberglass for Saltwater? Referrals for Annapolis, MD

Jun 10, 2016
Edgewater, MD
We are in the planning stages of our inground pool, but stuck on trying to decide between a gunite and a fiberglass pool. We have decided on a saltwater pool, and I think that is why I am stuck. Do gunite pools really need to be resurfaced quicker if you have saltwater?

My inlaws have a gunite pool that is probably about 25 years old, and is just now needing work done, but is a chlorine pool system.

What are the pro's and con's of each? Any helpful suggestions/opinions?

Also, we are just outside Annapolis, MD and would love referrals. We've spoken to a couple of companies, but only one has come out and that was strictly to let us know if we had room (we have a septic and reserve area to work around). We have been told we can fit a 14x30 pool, free form would be better for the area we are putting it into.

Thanks in advance!!

Saltwater should not be an influencing factor in your decision. Both will hold up fine to salt water. Water chemistry management is the only important factor to the life of your pool surface. Pool surfaces with properly balanced water will easily last a decade longer than poorly managed water, salt or not.

We used Vista Pro Landscape & Design (aka Vista Pro Pools & Spas) out of Davidsonville. Our experience was generally very good. Always something to find issue with but the owner, James, is very willing to talk situations through. He's an engineer so you will always get the "why" if you'd like to know on a particular topic. I had several long conversations with during the bid process to understand certain topics. I'd certainly put him on my bid list for a gunite pool. Are you on the water?

We used Vista Pro Landscape & Design (aka Vista Pro Pools & Spas) out of Davidsonville. Our experience was generally very good. Always something to find issue with but the owner, James, is very willing to talk situations through. He's an engineer so you will always get the "why" if you'd like to know on a particular topic. I had several long conversations with during the bid process to understand certain topics. I'd certainly put him on my bid list for a gunite pool. Are you on the water?

Hi bmoreswim,
I know this is from 4 years ago, but thank you for the recommendation. We never got really far back in 2016! We are not on the water, but in critical area. I just posted a new thread if you are able to help.

Thanks, again!

Normally fiberglass pools are cheaper as there are a few drawbacks (finish is not as durable, more chance of pool popping out Of ground when drained, limited designs, etc). If price quotes are similar go gunite. Also I’ve had a gunite saltwater pool for 17 years now. The pool looks as new as the day it was built.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.