I have a question about adding DE to filter.

jimmcg29

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 21, 2009
Lower West Michigan
From what I understand adding DE to a sand filter creates a small layer at the top of the sand and catches all the fine particles. That means it is also catching anything bigger. Is there anything left for the sand to do? It seems to me the ideal thing to do would be adding sand to the filter until get you above the laterals, thin layer of DE, and fill it the rest of the way with sand. That way the sand gets the big stuff the DE gets the little stuff. I am guessing the DE will stay put when you backwash or it wouldn’t stay put during normal filtering.

Well, I certainly wouldn't stop you from trying, but DE does eventually "go bad". The diatoms trap particles quite effectively and eventually become overloaded and must be removed. That is why DE filters dump the DE when they backwash and new DE has to be added. My guess is that your DE layer will start to clog at some point and you won't be able to get the DE out if it is trapped between layers of sand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.