Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I have a question about adding DE to filter.

1. Back To Top    #1
    Lower West Michigan

I have a question about adding DE to filter.

From what I understand adding DE to a sand filter creates a small layer at the top of the sand and catches all the fine particles. That means it is also catching anything bigger. Is there anything left for the sand to do? It seems to me the ideal thing to do would be adding sand to the filter until get you above the laterals, thin layer of DE, and fill it the rest of the way with sand. That way the sand gets the big stuff the DE gets the little stuff. I am guessing the DE will stay put when you backwash or it wouldn’t stay put during normal filtering.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: I have a question about adding DE to filter.

I can't imagine that working but it sounds like a great experiment you could try. It might just work! Report back your results
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

I nominate you to be the experimenter.

My fear is that if the sand layer isn't deep enough that some of the DE will find its way through the sand bed and into the laterals and out into the pool.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

It takes so little DE to start raising the pressure. I would keep a super-close eye on the gauge during any experiments.
    * 18' x 33' - 48" oval AGP - new liner Summer 2014
    * Hayward Pro Series S210T Top Mount Sand Filter
    * Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1 1/2 hp Pump Model SP5615
    (equipment on posts prior to summer 2014) Hayward PowerFlo 1 hp pump - Jacuzzi "Tidewater" 190L, sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5
    NW Ohio

Well, I certainly wouldn't stop you from trying, but DE does eventually "go bad". The diatoms trap particles quite effectively and eventually become overloaded and must be removed. That is why DE filters dump the DE when they backwash and new DE has to be added. My guess is that your DE layer will start to clog at some point and you won't be able to get the DE out if it is trapped between layers of sand.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter.
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits