Going to attempt to hard plumb pool today

Jun 14, 2014
Aberdeen,MD
Hi all,

So over the past few days, I've had major complications with the regular old hoses that I've been using for several years now. For some reason, they just aren't fitting properly this year, as they have in the past. Not sure why.

Anyway, after a good bit of research, it seems that hard plumbing is the way to go as it is more efficient, more attractive, and easier to maintain.

Could someone experience provide some information on what type of pvc pipes, fittings, etc. I will need to complete this? As well as any advice.

Is this something that I should be able to do in a day?

Thanks,
Jared

20160609_193525.jpg

If you've worked with pvc pipe before it's not too hard to cut and glue up. The biggest decision to make is do you use 1 1/2"or 2" pipe. Everything need to be sch40 pvc. That's about as much as I know. I'm also going to be doing what you're doing down the way so I'm going to follow along and learn as well on what the best way is.

Take your time, the last thing you want is to have dripping water.
Cut pipe with chop saw.
Clean edges.
Dry fit everything before you glue.
Use glue liberally, glue pipe and joint. Let it dry. I like the Gorilla glue (says pools and spas).
If you have screw joints wrap so that they do not screw all the way in, like 7 to 10 wraps.
Put a shut off valve under the skimmer.
Put a 3 way under the return and build a fountain with your scraps. :)
I put mine nearly 10 feet from the pool.
Have a nice long straight run before the pump, this is important...like two feet.
Put your pump/filter on pavers.
Good luck, have fun, you will not regret this.

Do not use PVC fittings marked DWV (drainage waste vent); they are not made to handle pressure.

Some pipe is both DWV and pressure - read the printing on side of pipe; do not use PVC pipe that does not have a pressure (PSI) rating.

I would recommend also using union couplers at the pump and at the filter connections, makes it easier to remove the pump or filter for maintenance later.

Also make sure to put in shutoff valves on the skimmer and returns so you can isolate the pump and filter for maintenance as well.

Following, I'm tackling the same thing next weekend, after I put a liner in my Intex.. :) ya.. it's been one of those weeks.. argh.. I just love filling the pool twice in the same month.. yeah me..

Welcome! Hope you enjoy the site!

When using fittings, use this type which is rated for pressure...

Not this type which is not rated for pressure...

Don't forget the primer before the glue. A trick to make the job look neat and clean is to put a wrap of masking tape around the pipe about 3/4" away from the end before you put the purple primer on. It looks neat and clean that way and not like someone slaughtered a Smurf.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also use a twisting action to distribute the glue as you put two fittings together, and hold together for several seconds, this greatly lowers the chance of having a leak once the glue cures. I always your Oatey brand PVC glues, if you don't want a big visible mess use the clear cleaner or UV primer instead of the purple primer, and clear medium PVC glue. Purple primer has traditionally been required for inspected plumbing but the purple gets everywhere since it is thin and drips. A few years ago UV primer which is only visible under a special UV light was introduced, no telling how much clothing it has saved. If dealing with wet fittings use Blue RainRShine glue.

Ike

p.s. if you don't have a chop saw you may want to invest in a ratcheting PVC cutter, they only cost $10 or so for ones that cut up to 1 5/8 inch, they work good on up to 1 inch PVC, but are marginal on 1.5 inch, they also make larger ratchet cutters that cost about 20 and are rated at 2 or 2.5 inch which work well on 1.5 pvc see amazon for many varieties

If you can fit them in your run, use sweeps instead of hard 90 degree corners.

I had to do some repairs to mine when I opened last month (cracked a union, so had to replace it) and I used for the first time the spray combo cleaner/primer/glue. I like it, at least for outdoor / crawl space work. No primer running dowm my forearm, no purple cuticles for the next week, and no knocking over the primer and/or glue can by accident. I don't think I would use it in a living area, such as under a sink, because of the overspray. Or if I did, I would use some scrap cardboard as a backer. But for use on the pool, it worked great.

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.