Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Going to attempt to hard plumb pool today

1. Back To Top    #1

Going to attempt to hard plumb pool today

Hi all,

So over the past few days, I've had major complications with the regular old hoses that I've been using for several years now. For some reason, they just aren't fitting properly this year, as they have in the past. Not sure why.

Anyway, after a good bit of research, it seems that hard plumbing is the way to go as it is more efficient, more attractive, and easier to maintain.

Could someone experience provide some information on what type of pvc pipes, fittings, etc. I will need to complete this? As well as any advice.

Is this something that I should be able to do in a day?

Thanks,
    Jared

20160609_193525.jpg
    10K GAL, AGP Vinyl, Pentair Sand Dollar (SD40) filter, Pentair Dyanamo High Performance Pump (DYNIIN1-1)
    HP 1.50 SPL, Kreepy Krauly Lil Shark Pool Vacuum, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Going to attempt to hard plumb pool today

If you've worked with pvc pipe before it's not too hard to cut and glue up. The biggest decision to make is do you use 1 1/2"or 2" pipe. Everything need to be sch40 pvc. That's about as much as I know. I'm also going to be doing what you're doing down the way so I'm going to follow along and learn as well on what the best way is.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

3. Back To Top    #3

Take your time, the last thing you want is to have dripping water.
    Cut pipe with chop saw.
    Clean edges.
    Dry fit everything before you glue.
    Use glue liberally, glue pipe and joint. Let it dry. I like the Gorilla glue (says pools and spas).
    If you have screw joints wrap so that they do not screw all the way in, like 7 to 10 wraps.
    Put a shut off valve under the skimmer.
    Put a 3 way under the return and build a fountain with your scraps.
    I put mine nearly 10 feet from the pool.
    Have a nice long straight run before the pump, this is important...like two feet.
    Put your pump/filter on pavers.
    Good luck, have fun, you will not regret this.
    Spring 2016 Install, 24'x54" Saltwater LX AG Round Pool (13500 gal.), AquaPro 200 SQ. FT. Cartridge Filter System 2-HP 2-Speed Pump, Solaxx Saltron Retro Jet RJ Saltwater Chlorine Generator, Aqualuminator Above Ground Pool Light, TF-100 Test Kit w/ Borate and Salt, Well Water.

4. Back To Top    #4

Stock up on beer.

Send the wife and kids away for a few hours. They don't need to hear that.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Do not use PVC fittings marked DWV (drainage waste vent); they are not made to handle pressure.

Some pipe is both DWV and pressure - read the printing on side of pipe; do not use PVC pipe that does not have a pressure (PSI) rating.
    Chas & Cheryl (first-time, second-year pool owners)
    Radiant Metric Oval AGP 16'x32'x52"; Pentair: Clean&Clear 150 Cartridge, OptiFlo 1.5 Hp 2-spd, and 320C Feeder (all mounted below water level); Taylor K-2006 & SpeedStir; Maytronics Dolphin E10 (aka Einstein)
    installation pics (2015-2016)

6. Back To Top    #6

I would recommend also using union couplers at the pump and at the filter connections, makes it easier to remove the pump or filter for maintenance later.

Also make sure to put in shutoff valves on the skimmer and returns so you can isolate the pump and filter for maintenance as well.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    2017-Intex Ultra Frame 16x48 5000 Gallons
    Intex 2800GPH Pump with 14" Intex Sand Filter
    My Intex Pool Setup Video :Intex pool rises from the ashes - installing and leveling - EP-72 - YouTube

7. Back To Top    #7

Oh yeah, keep us posted as to your progress, I love looking at the pretty pictures
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    2017-Intex Ultra Frame 16x48 5000 Gallons
    Intex 2800GPH Pump with 14" Intex Sand Filter
    My Intex Pool Setup Video :Intex pool rises from the ashes - installing and leveling - EP-72 - YouTube

8. Back To Top    #8

Following, I'm tackling the same thing next weekend, after I put a liner in my Intex.. ya.. it's been one of those weeks.. argh.. I just love filling the pool twice in the same month.. yeah me..

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by sinverarity View Post
    Following, I'm tackling the same thing next weekend, after I put a liner in my Intex.. ya.. it's been one of those weeks.. argh.. I just love filling the pool twice in the same month.. yeah me..
    Welcome! Hope you enjoy the site!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

When using fittings, use this type which is rated for pressure...

Not this type which is not rated for pressure...

Don't forget the primer before the glue. A trick to make the job look neat and clean is to put a wrap of masking tape around the pipe about 3/4" away from the end before you put the purple primer on. It looks neat and clean that way and not like someone slaughtered a Smurf.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

11. Back To Top    #11

Also use a twisting action to distribute the glue as you put two fittings together, and hold together for several seconds, this greatly lowers the chance of having a leak once the glue cures. I always your Oatey brand PVC glues, if you don't want a big visible mess use the clear cleaner or UV primer instead of the purple primer, and clear medium PVC glue. Purple primer has traditionally been required for inspected plumbing but the purple gets everywhere since it is thin and drips. A few years ago UV primer which is only visible under a special UV light was introduced, no telling how much clothing it has saved. If dealing with wet fittings use Blue RainRShine glue.

Ike

p.s. if you don't have a chop saw you may want to invest in a ratcheting PVC cutter, they only cost $10 or so for ones that cut up to 1 5/8 inch, they work good on up to 1 inch PVC, but are marginal on 1.5 inch, they also make larger ratchet cutters that cost about 20 and are rated at 2 or 2.5 inch which work well on 1.5 pvc see amazon for many varieties
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

12. Back To Top    #12

If you can fit them in your run, use sweeps instead of hard 90 degree corners.

I had to do some repairs to mine when I opened last month (cracked a union, so had to replace it) and I used for the first time the spray combo cleaner/primer/glue. I like it, at least for outdoor / crawl space work. No primer running dowm my forearm, no purple cuticles for the next week, and no knocking over the primer and/or glue can by accident. I don't think I would use it in a living area, such as under a sink, because of the overspray. Or if I did, I would use some scrap cardboard as a backer. But for use on the pool, it worked great.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

13. Back To Top    #13

Note most sweep elbows are DWV drain fitting, not pressure fittings, so only have half the contact area for the glue joint
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

14. Back To Top    #14

To lessen load on pump (if you need to) use two pressure 45s to make a long sweep 90.
    Chas & Cheryl (first-time, second-year pool owners)
    Radiant Metric Oval AGP 16'x32'x52"; Pentair: Clean&Clear 150 Cartridge, OptiFlo 1.5 Hp 2-spd, and 320C Feeder (all mounted below water level); Taylor K-2006 & SpeedStir; Maytronics Dolphin E10 (aka Einstein)
    installation pics (2015-2016)