Half way cleared my swamp so far.. Now I'm stumped

Jun 10, 2016
Saluda
I bought a forclosure.. I know it's been sitting for at least three years. The pool is 15 years old. It was black water when we first opened it. We have shocked it and vacuumed as much as we can without being able to see the bottom. We are now at a cloudy blue stage and seem to be stuck here. I'm thinking it's still an algae issue in the bottom of the pool. There are no trees around the pool so I haven't had much junk in the pool just algae basically so far ..
After going on vaca for 5 days and left the pump running with chlorine in the pool I came back it's still cloudy blue.. At least it didn't get worse..
yesterday Evening before bed I put 192 oz of bleach in the pool and waited about and hr and checked the chemicals

stabilizer - 50
Ph 7.2
Br bromine 1.3
Free Ch chlorine 0.6
Alk 11= 110
1 hr After 192 ml of bleach

i am am new to this pool thing. And think I am on the right track I just can't seem to get the cloudyness to go away.. I'm thinking a slam? I've read about that on here with bleach..
I am going to check the numbers now. Will keep you posted.

While you wait for others who are more knowledgeable I'll offer my 2 cents.

Yes, I think you're on the right track. The chlorine needs to burn off the junk...and you have a lot of it...that's why FC is being used up so quickly. Make sure you clean filters every day until the mess is cleared.

USE POOL MATH...see link at the top of the home page. After entering your pool dimensions use recommended amounts of chemicals....trust it...it works.

I think this is really about letting the chlorine do its work. Check readings twice daily and add every time its called for.

Good luck

Also see:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

Last edited:
Well hello to you and Good Morning! So you want your pool clear? We can help you do that! I see you have posted test results. AWESOME start! I need to know what test kit you are using to test the water. That is going to make the biggest difference in where we from here.

Take and share a picture of your pool. Take it looking down on the steps. That will allow you and us see the progress.

Kim:cat:

- - - Updated - - -

The chlorine goes to nothing because it is trying to kill the algae in the water. It is doing it's job.

If you added 192 oz of 8.25% bleach, that only raised the FC to 3.5 which is not nearly enough for your CYA level. To clear the pool you are going to need to complete the slam process . This requires dosing the pool at much higher levels to kill off all the organic debris in the water. Which test kit are you using?

I haven't gotten the 6 way test kit yet. So I'm using my original test strips I bought to get the cya calorox 6way test strips and then I got the hdx 5 way test kit that I'm using to get everything else..

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpgimage.jpg

Test strips are not very reliable especially for CYA. You should really consider getting a high quality FAS/DPD test kit such as the TF 100 or the Taylor K2006C. It will give you accurate test results and it will test the high levels of chlorine you will need to clear the pool. Once you have an accurate CYA level we can help you get started with the the slam process to clear the pool.

Okay. So ove ordered the test kit. But in the mean time I've been adding bleach to not loose any progress made. Bleach is a lot cheaper than the granulated chlorine .. And since yesterday just using the bleach it has gotten even better yet..

- - - Updated - - -

It's more of a grey blue instead of a greenish blue tint

- - - Updated - - -

Ph 7.2
Fc 10?
Cc 10?
Alk 120

the fc and cc have ? Because the test kit that I have only goes up to 7 and the color is probably at least twice as dark as the #7 color.. It may be higher than 10..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 19

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are cheering for you..and YOU are on the RIGHT TRACK! Just keep your FC up to shock level..if that means adding bleach every 5 hours, or every hour..just continue to do so. Keep cleaning your filters and vacuuming as necessary as crud falls out of the water column.

Good luck..it'll be sparkly blue in NO TIME...you are doing well. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.