Cloudy skies... no, wait, cloudy water

I think the reason I am leaning towards the filter depositing sand into the pool is because of all the sediment by the return and the fact that nothing else is making difference. The filter was never cleaned so it cannot hurt either. My filter requires 500lbs of sand, which I think we will replace part of it. I want to check locally for the parts and see about return policy. This way we can purchase anything we may need and return what we do not need. I have maintained the SLAM for several days, have shocked the pool and there is no change whatsoever. I know this is a process, but considering that the water is otherwise blue, I do not think that I have that much algae that a shock and over a week of SLAM could not cure. The pool was never green, even upon opening for the season.

Thank you Kim. We will get all the parts first to make sure we have it handy. Then the sand of course, all 500 lbs of them and get the thing going. I guess the worse will be remove all the sand to check the laterals. The tutorial is really helpful and I am sure we will consult it as we go along.

You can use a shop vac to pull it up and out. I put the vac in my wheel barrow so I do not have to bend over so much. I dump the vac out into the WB and start over again. I also rinse the sand as I put it in the WB. If your WB is not big enough you can dump the sand on a tarp to keep it clean.

Kim:cat:

So Kim, do you replace the whole amount of sand? We will get the parts, hopefully, today. And try to get it done this afternoon.

This morning I took a look at the pool and there is no deposits by the steps, but the pump is running on low. The water on the shallow end is clearer. It ran low speed since 5pm yesterday. I can only think that the problem is sediments getting in the pool that is causing the cloudy water.

I will continue to post my progress and hopefully soon it will be all clear, literally. It is supposed to be beautiful the next few days, which means lots of swimmers.

I did not replace it......I took it out and cleaned it (rinsed while in WB). I took it out so I could look at my laterals to make sure they were not clogged or cracked. I put it all back in once I was sure my filter guts were fine. (did have a little bit of sand lodged in a few openings).

When you go to put the sand back in (sand never gets "old", just dirty) make sure to cover the tube with a plastic cup or such to keep all sand out of it.

Fill the filter half way up with water to help cushion the sand as you put it in. I even put the sand back in using a plastic cup until the laterals were well covered before I just poured the sand back in.

Make sure the tube is well seated in it's spot on the bottom before you do anything.

There is one supplier that does not open on the weekends, so we did not get parts and we did not open the filter. We will get the parts tomorrow and then open and get it all cleaned up. Mu husband is hung up on the idea of replacing the sand. I am more concerned with the parts and if they are all in working order. I have been running the pool pump on low speed and the water is better. I am afraid of going into high and get cloudy again.

Thank you so much for all the hints. We will be opening to clean/replace the sand and check the parts.

Well, I can see the bottom drain of my pool and I am indeed excited about it. It is not crystal clear just yet, but a tremendous improvement from past weeks. I tested the water this morning and here is where we are now:
FC = 10
CC = 0
PH = 7.2
TA = 150
CH = 160
CYA = 20

Still a bit low on CYA, but overall I am happy with the numbers and with the improvement. I will not be running the pump on high just yet until I have the filter checked. I do not want more junk dumped in the pool.

Any thoughts or comments?

WHAT?? You DO have a main drain after all??? SWEET!

If hubby wants to change the sand let him. It will make him happy and not cost too much.

Your numbers look good. We will do the tweaking when your pool is clear. For right now keep on keeping on!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We will get a new o-ring today and wash the sand at the filter, replace the ring, and see if this will help a bit. We know the sand needs a deep wash. Then, once we have all the other parts at hand we will empty the filter and see what is going on... that is of more sediment get to the pool.

I know the numbers will need some adjusting, but for now, I think I am glad to see the bottom.

Awesome glad to see it has finally turned for you. Keep up the good fight- you'll get there. I forgot to mention this before- it helps to take a photo each day looking down the ladder/stairs. The subtle differences you'll see from day to day will keep you motivated.

Hi brazilmom,

I am not an expert I grew up with a inground vinyl pool similar in size to yours and still take care of it occasionally, we go over and help open and close it most years. We are about 5-10 miles away from Brookfield.

This year we opened the inground pool later in the year than normal it was green, then cloudy, and it would not clear up. This cloudy water also happened about 5-6 years ago after half a summer of fighting it, adding de, and slamming it the only thing that fixed it was changing the sand in the filter, all of it. So this year they also changed the sand after about a week and a half of cloudy water. It is now cleared up. I believe they used silica sand, which was harder to find, some pool stores in the area carry other types of pool sand but it has not worked as well over the years. You'd think sand is sand, but in this situation silica sand works best for this pool and they have had at least two different sand filters and a few different pool pumps over the years.

Just thought I'd agree with changing the sand. I did not do it either time it sounded labor intensive they used a shop vac, but it worked.

Our little above ground pool, 8000 gallons, just across town from the other pool opened clean we could see the bottom when I took the cover off. We opened both pools the same week. It is interesting what the pool store guy said it was the snow but who knows. We have a solid winter cover on our little above ground pool maybe that's what the difference is? The inground pool similar to yours has a mesh winter cover that lets the rain/snow in maybe the pool store guy is on to something?

Best of luck! Sounds like you are on the right track

We decided to do a deep cleaning. Got a new O-ring and went for it. That poor filter was filthy. I had the hose there for at least 45 minutes and the water was awfully dirty. It was almost muddy. We were able to clean it good. Got it all back together and we are happy to report that no dirt came into the pool. The water is way better now, but still need a bit more clearing up. The gurgling sound is gone and I can see the water coming from the returns with full force now. We are so relieved to have arrived at that. I will add chlorine tonight and I am sure I will need a good dose of CYA. This morning was at 20, but with all the sand washing I imagine I am probably near to nothing. I did not take another test today, just in the morning, but will redo after adding chlorine and in the morning to see how it is holding. Temperature has risen too, as the weather has been beyond gorgeous. I am feeling much better now and ready to enjoy some wonderful swimming. Thank you for all the support, replies, comments, suggestions, and everything. This forum is fantastic and the knowledge you share is priceless. Thank you.

Hi Hopp, thank you for your reply. The weather has been beautiful, hasn't it? I think we finally got it corrected, and had we know that the sand was that filthy we would probably had replaced it. But at least now we know how it all works and can do on an yearly basis.

Thank you Pooldv. We are super excited that our pool is back in shape. I will run a complete test tonight after the swimmers are gone home and the pool is at rest. The sun is high in the sky, so I imagine I will be adding a bit of chlorine tonight again. Then I can test and find where my CYA stands and how much I will need. I was considering getting it up to 40, is that a good number? This year we got only up to 22.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.