Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bonding safety cover brass anchors

1. Back To Top    #1

Bonding safety cover brass anchors

I have a loop loc safety cover and when they installed it they put brass anchors in my paver deck and in my rock wall and grotto along the back of my pool. Some rocks are actually on a ledge inside my pool. When in the pool one can easily touch the anchors that were drilled inside the rocks.

Is there an issue that these brass anchors were not bonded?
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Bonding safety cover brass anchors

Nope. the mass of them is not big enough to be a problem.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Mas has nothing to do with it there is should be a bonding grid installed by the pb which bonds the patio around your pool and by association the cover tie downs are bonded with the stone.
    Chuck-
    15x30 Above ground, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is funded by member support click here to help

4. Back To Top    #4

I think that one might be able to argue that a strict adherence to the code might require bonding any metal part. However, I don't think that it would be reasonably possible and I don't think that any inspector would require bonding. I doubt that anyone has ever bonded safety cover anchors.

5. Back To Top    #5

At least some versions of the NEC exempt items less than 4 square inches.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

There is a bonding grid around my pool but the anchors are not bonded. And the anchors drilled into the inside rocks are certainly not bonded. I don't know how those drilled into rock could ever be bonded, but I asked the question because they could have had the cover go over the rock walk and grotto such that the anchors were not accessible while actually in the water. But they installed the cover right into the Rockimage.jpg
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

7. Back To Top    #7

Safety cover anchors have about 4 square inches of surface area.

In any case, I'm pretty sure that no one bonds the anchors.

Note: Always follow all applicable codes to ensure safety.

8. Back To Top    #8

2014 NEC 680.26 (B)(5): All metal fittings within or attached to the pool structure shall be bonded. Isolated parts that are not over 100 mm (4 in,) in any dimension and do not penetrate into the pool structure more than 25 mm (1 in.) shall not require bonding.

That is a model of clarity NOT.

This is the only place I know of where the NEC uses the term "pool structure." In 680.26 (B) (1) it uses the term "pool shell." Neither term is defined in the definitions section.

Earlier in 680.26 (B) the code talks about the perimeter of the pool. They don't use the same term here.

My view is that cover anchors that are placed in the deck or adjacent material do not require bonding. But cover anchors that exceed 4 inches in any dimension and penetrate the pool shell more than an inch do require bonding. Your local inspector may disagree.

What is really really important here is to make sure the deck, no matter what is is made of, is bonded to the pool shell and the water.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall