Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Frequency of replacing sand in filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Frequency of replacing sand in filter

I've been getting higher pressure readings on my sand filter (avg 15-18 psi) than most of my neighbours who seem to be around 8-10psi... Having just bought the house last yr, I've spoken to the pool maintenance company that's serviced this house for the past 25 yrs and they show no record of ever changing the filter sand in the filter.

I've heard varying stories in regards to the frequency of changing the sand.

Can anyone clarify the correct frequency for changing the sand?

I do backwash and rinse after pretty much every vacuuming of the pool...

Not sure that this makes a difference, however, it was a non-saltwater pool (close to 30 yrs) until last yr when I converted it...

Thanking in advance

Bill

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Frequency of replacing sand in filter

No need to ever change your sand. The following link will explain how to clean it.

Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

every pool has a differant PSI and sand has been around for millions of years do a deep clean and you should be good to go, the sand will last longer than the filter
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

There is no normal filter pressure. Pressure is dependent on many things plumbing, heater, return eyeball size, number of 90 elbows, valves, etc. It is recommended to backwash your filter when pressure rises 20-25% above clean pressure.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks everyone. I'll follow the link above and learn how to deep clean the sand...

6. Back To Top    #6

Sidenote: a slightly dirty filter works better than one repeatedly backwashed.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain