Just shocked my SPA. BR@ 12, PH currently tests purple, water is more green. This OK?

ttown

Jun 24, 2014
Houston, TX
I drained my 7500Gallon spa, filled it back up, and got my levels to [7.2 PH, 60 Hardness, 120 Alk, 0 FC, 0 CYA]

I'm going to use bromine instead of chlorine. So I poured 30Oz of Sodium Bromide to make the reserve, then poured 2lbs of MPS. I waited an hour. BR/FC raised to 6. I had wanted to get to 10-12.

I was out of MSP, So I poured about 8oz of sodium hydrochlorite evenly. I re-measured an hour later and my PH levels were off the chart [PURPLE], but my BR/FC was at 12.
My water also appears more green than before (slightly green).

Is all this normal? Purple PH and 12 BR mixing MSP and Sodium Hydrochlorate? Will the PH go back to normal and my BR naturally go back down to maintenance levels?

Lower the TA to 50 and add 50 ppm borates to help stabilize the PH.

Read the PH, TA and borate sections of this thread, How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)? for more details.

Will do! I used muraitic acid to lower the PH initially.

But I read that you shouldn't combine sodium hydrochlorite and muraitic. How long should I wait to try to drop the PH using muraitic after recently pouring the sodium?

I poured the sodium when bromine levels dropped to 1 to increase it to 9 again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.