Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 14 Year Pool Owner

1. Back To Top    #1

14 Year Pool Owner

I have had my pool 13 years, the first liner lasted 11 years and we installed a new one 2 years ago. The first 11 years I used pucks from Walmart and I guess they just had smaller amounts of stabilizer in. My cya stayed a little high but never over 80. (Maybe all day direct sunlight helped this?)The last 2 years I have been using 3" tabs from online pool stores and my cya climbed into the 150 range. So after being disappointed I now have the pool drained 60% and filled back up. I should be firing up the pump in an hour or so and getting some samples. I will be using liquid bleach/chlorine from here on out and only using tabs when stabilizer is needed or when I go away for several days(until they're gone, which will be awhile). How often do you guys add bleach? Everyday? Every other day? I guess my first thing to do is determine how much the pool uses a day. So now I am on to a new learning experience. Up until the last week or so all of my water tests have been great and in limits since I check every other day.
    24' Round above ground, 52in deep, Cooper Ranger series 200# sand filter, 1.5 hp pump Jacuzzi pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 14 Year Pool Owner

Well my TF-100 is on order. So I added some baking soda and I will re-check in a few. Gonna bump up the FC 1 ppm, I am interested to see how much bleach it uses a day since it gets full sunlight all day.
    FC - 4
    TC - 4
    TA - 40
    PH - 7.0
    24' Round above ground, 52in deep, Cooper Ranger series 200# sand filter, 1.5 hp pump Jacuzzi pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Most pools use 2-4 ppm FC per day. Have you added any CYA to the pool? It will need to be at least 50 ppm for your climate. Waiting for pucks to get it there will take too long and the sun will burn off your FC too fast. Put some in a sock and hang it in front of a return. More here on adding CYA, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

CYA is 50 according to the strips....which I know suck, but I have been using them and a 5 bottle test kit. And comparing the two. It has worked for 13 years but has failed me this year with my CYA so high. My TF-100 will be here this week.

5. Back To Top    #5

Chlorine level is set based on the CYA level and the FC/CYA Chart. So, with CYA at 50 FC should be at 6 ppm and never drop below 4.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

yep just added 56oz

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here. Sounds like you're well underway with TFPC. Good decision to take your CYA down with the drain/refill.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

8. Back To Top    #8

All trichlor pucks have the same ratio of FC to CYA, which makes me wonder if your old liner may have had a slow leak in it which allowed you to keep your CYA level down with gradual water replacement.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

I bet it did. There is a rust spot on the one side. Thanks for the welcome!

10. Back To Top    #10

Welcome Grated!
    Our pool similar in size to yours, will use roughly 20 to 40 ounces of 10% chlorine every 1 to 2 days.
    TF-100 Test Kit will allow you total control of caring for your pool.
    24' Reprieve RD/AG/13K gal Vinyl TFP method
    Waterway Clearwater 175 sqft Cartridge
    Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP Pump 2-Speed
    TF-100 Test Kit SpeedStir Borate Insta Test
    Spreading TFP to All