Summer waves pool help

Jun 11, 2016
Denham springs
I just purchased a summer waves 18x48 pool today. I also bought an intex 2800 sand filter pump and a saltwater system. I put up the pool today only to see I don't have pool plunger valves I need for my intex pump ( I thought it came with the pump since I don't have an intex pool). So that's problem one. Problem two is I don't even know where to begin to attach the sand filter pump to my pool since the new summer waves pool has a different skimmer with a closes in system so the way I though I was going to do will not work with my adaptor I purchased from amazon. I need to figure out how to either buy something to attach the hoses together or replace the skimmer on the pool with another one that will fit the intex pump. Im at a stopping point right now with my pool halfway full not knowing what to do

Also do I need the plunger valves or is there a way I can purchase something to not use them since I want to keep my skimmer.

- - - Updated - - -

Will the pump and skimmer just let water flow through it also once I figure this out or will I have to run this pump also to let water come through

There is an attachment on Amazon for removing the pump so you can attach a hose. I've read that you can also just plumb with the pump in place and remove the impeller so the flow is not restricted. How do you like that pool? I was thinking about getting it over the Intex because it has less holes because of the skimmer.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

When I had my summer escapes pool this is a general overview of how I hooked mine up.
[URL=http://s1233.photobucket.com/user/James_Pettengill/media/pool/facbe688.jpg.html][/URL]

I removed the impeller from the pump on the skimmer. That was before I found out there was and adapter to do away with the pump all together. I never got the adapter and it ran like this for 6 years. Even after upgrading to a larger pump and filter it still worked fine.

BTW. I only used one plunger valve. Just to get from thr skimmer to the pump.
[URL=http://s1233.photobucket.com/user/James_Pettengill/media/pool/3cba27b3.jpg.html][/URL]

When I had my summer escapes pool this is a general overview of how I hooked mine up.
[URL=http://s1233.photobucket.com/user/James_Pettengill/media/pool/facbe688.jpg.html][/URL]

I removed the impeller from the pump on the skimmer. That was before I found out there was and adapter to do away with the pump all together. I never got the adapter and it ran like this for 6 years. Even after upgrading to a larger pump and filter it still worked fine.

BTW. I only used one plunger valve. Just to get from thr skimmer to the pump.
[URL=http://s1233.photobucket.com/user/James_Pettengill/media/pool/3cba27b3.jpg.html][/URL]

How did u remove the impeller? Also my motor is in the inside not outside on the new skimmer, will this still work just use the original hose to the plunger valve? Or did u have to buy an thing else for the attachment? The plunger valve just hooked up to your pool hose or you used a different one? Sorty I'm just so confused?

Those intex valves "old ones you are showing" are horrible, they can really restrict the water flow and often break very easily. I like the newer Intex valves that have the rectangular valve on top and screw in and out instead of those with the handle.

How did u remove the impeller? Also my motor is in the inside not outside on the new skimmer, will this still work just use the original hose to the plunger valve? Or did u have to buy an thing else for the attachment? The plunger valve just hooked up to your pool hose or you used a different one? Sorty I'm just so confused?
Well with the pump being on the outside it was serviceable to replace the impeller shaft.
I wasn't aware that the pump was in the skimmer. What does the bottom of it look like where the hose comes out to go to the return? Is there any way to use that hose and hook it to the pump via a plunger valve similar to what I did? And then just use the intex hoses with the screw on ends to connect everything else?

Do yourself a favor and purchase this item

Amazon.com : Summer Escapes Skimmer Filter Pump Conversion Kit : Swimming Pool Skimmers : Patio, Lawn Garden

This will allow you to remove that old pump body from the skimmer, increasing your flow. And change out those old Intex valves for these.

Amazon.com : New Model Set of 2 Intex Large Pool Plunger Valve Assemblies : Swimming Pool Pump Accessories : Patio, Lawn Garden

These valves are less restictive than the ones you are using, and better made in my opinion.

With the motor being in the skimmer Im not sure I can remove it. The bottom is a screw on. Bottom with the hose coming from the side. I just order the newer plunger valves and the intex parts recommended above, but the piece for the conversion from amazon will not work for the new pool since the motor isn't on the bottom anymore.
I'm going to try to use the hose to a plunger valve like above and hopefully that will work. If I don't remove the impeller though will the water flow through the pump without the original pump plugged up or do I have to open up the motor and see if I can remove the impeller?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With the motor being in the skimmer Im not sure I can remove it. The bottom is a screw on. Bottom with the hose coming from the side. I just order the newer plunger valves and the intex parts recommended above, but the piece for the conversion from amazon will not work for the new pool since the motor isn't on the bottom anymore.
I'm going to try to use the hose to a plunger valve like above and hopefully that will work. If I don't remove the impeller though will the water flow through the pump without the original pump plugged up or do I have to open up the motor and see if I can remove the impeller?

I just got one of these new Summer Escapes Elite pools. I Bought a Hayward Skimmer and put it on instead of using the one that came with it. After installing the Hayward skimmer, I used the Intex Plunger valves Using these Adapters:

Amazon.com : Intex Soft Side Pool Short Connection Kit - 40 Millimeter to 1.5 Inch : Swimming Pool Hoses : Patio, Lawn Garden

After that, I hooked up a 2800 GPH Intex sand filter and SWG using the supplied hoses that come with the Intex Pump.

Welcome to TFP brunnesa! Thanks for that helpful post!

Thanks. I ran into the same issue that Bliotto has when I got this Summer Escapes Elite Pool. Here is a picture of the Skimmer that comes with these pools.
Skimmer.jpg

The pump motor is totally enclosed in the skimmer unlike the other summer escapes skimmers where the pump attaches to the bottom of the skimmer.

I just got one of these new Summer Escapes Elite pools. I Bought a Hayward Skimmer and put it on instead of using the one that came with it. After installing the Hayward skimmer, I used the Intex Plunger valves Using these Adapters:

Amazon.com : Intex Soft Side Pool Short Connection Kit - 40 Millimeter to 1.5 Inch : Swimming Pool Hoses : Patio, Lawn Garden

After that, I hooked up a 2800 GPH Intex sand filter and SWG using the supplied hoses that come with the Intex Pump.

So do I even need the other parts every recommended the intex parts above cause I already order them.
Also did u have to cut the pool for the new skimmer? Can u link the one you purchased?

So do I even need the other parts every recommended the intex parts above cause I already order them.
Also did u have to cut the pool for the new skimmer? Can u link the one you purchased?
Also I'm trying to bot install a new skimmer if I could. Is there no way to open the motor and remove impeller on this model of pump? Because like I stated I got the other pieces above. I just don't want to have to cut the pool. I'm worried about it leaking.

Also I'm trying to bot install a new skimmer if I could. Is there no way to open the motor and remove impeller on this model of pump? Because like I stated I got the other pieces above. I just don't want to have to cut the pool. I'm worried about it leaking.

I do not know if you can remove the impeller or not, but I can take a look tonight and let you know my opinion. Others will probably have an opinion on that also. I do think it might be difficult to attach the 1.5'' intex plunger valve to that skimmer. If you decide to change out the skimmer, here is the skimmer I purchased:
Amazon.com : Hayward SP1091LX Dyna-Skim Above-Ground Pool Skimmer and Accessory Kit : Swimming Pool Skimmers : Patio, Lawn Garden

You will need these plunger valves:
Amazon.com : New Model Set of 2 Intex Large Pool Plunger Valve Assemblies : Swimming Pool Pump Accessories : Patio, Lawn Garden

You will also need these adapters:

I understand your reservations on cutting the pool liner, but the linked above skimmer's opening is just barely bigger than the one provided with the pool. Really the only cutting needed is going from the round hole from the provided skimmer to the square hole of the hayward skimmer. They provide a gasket with the hayward skimmer. I have no leaks.

I do not know if you can remove the impeller or not, but I can take a look tonight and let you know my opinion. Others will probably have an opinion on that also. I do think it might be difficult to attach the 1.5'' intex plunger valve to that skimmer. If you decide to change out the skimmer, here is the skimmer I purchased:
Amazon.com : Hayward SP1091LX Dyna-Skim Above-Ground Pool Skimmer and Accessory Kit : Swimming Pool Skimmers : Patio, Lawn Garden

You will need these plunger valves:

You will also need these adapters:

I understand your reservations on cutting the pool liner, but the linked above skimmer's opening is just barely bigger than the one provided with the pool. Really the only cutting needed is going from the round hole from the provided skimmer to the square hole of the hayward skimmer. They provide a gasket with the hayward skimmer. I have no leaks.

I'm going to order the skimmer thank you.

One last question the salt water system u have did u need any parts for the return into the pool? Or did u just leave the one it had?

I'm going to order the skimmer thank you.

One last question the salt water system u have did u need any parts for the return into the pool? Or did u just leave the one it had?

I used the supplied return that came with the Hayward kit that I linked. I then used the other adapter like this to attach the other Intex valve (it has 2 in the package):

I also have figured out that you can use your existing skimmer and attach the sand filter and pump. As someone mentioned earlier, you remove the impeller:
IMG_20160615_193124.jpg

After that, put everything back together without the impeller.

IMG_20160615_193246.jpg

Then use one of these adapters on the output of the skimmer to attach the Intex plunger valve. If you buy the Intex Saltwater generator, there are two of these adapters included.

IMG_20160615_194148.jpg

Amazon.com : INTEX 1.25 Garden

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.