Completely new to pools, got a swamp pool, need help

Jun 10, 2016
Batavia
I bought a house with an above ground pool. Hasn't been opened in 2 years. Full of leaves and water is a complete black swamp. I am 100% new to any kind of pools and am getting confused reading some of these posts. Can anyone break down what I need and steps to take to be able to swim in the pool this summer? Thanks!

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here. If you follow the methods here, you'll have a safe, sparkly pool for swimming this summer.

1. Ensure no one can fall in
2. Order a TF100 test kit with XL option. Consider ordering a speed stirrer. TFTestkits.net
- I have no financial interest in TF Test Kits. The Taylor K2006C will also do the job.
3. Add your pool details to your signature (click the link in my signature "read before posting") and add your state or country to your location
4. Read these links
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool
5. If you want to start taking action, begin scooping out gunk anytime you like. Hold off turning on your pump for now.

Then check back here. Do not go to the pool store in the meantime.

When we know your pool volume, we'll know how much bleach you can add, just to hold contamination at the current level until you get your test kit.

Welcome!

You are in the right place It can be overwhelming at first, I found the site about 6 months before we built the pool and I was not sure about what I perceived to be the complexity. I looked all over the web but searches kept linking me back here, so I kept reading. Believe it or not if you keep reading the various links in Pool school and the threads about clearing swamps or SLAM, it will start to make sense. Don't expect to get it all at once, keep revisiting the ABC's as you watch others go through the process.

Inbetween reading do whatever you can to scoop out the gunk from the pool and oreder one of the recommended test kits, TF-100 with the XL option from tftestkits.net is one of the best for green pools due to the volume of testing that is needed in the early stages. but any of the reccomended will serve.

Once the pool is reasonably clear of solid chunks, get the equipment running. If you have questions about the equipment filter, pump, skimmer etc. ask with pictures if you can.

Once you have a good kit post some test numbers and we will get you started on SLAM

Edit...
needsajet types faster than I do ;-)

Welcome. I recovered a black water swamp in 2012 with TFP help.
Just holler when you've digested the steps involved and feel free to also post questions.

I'm gonna link you to a fairly cheap device you might only use this one time to save your back a bit on getting leaves up, assuming you already have a pool leaf rake.

This attaches to a hose and it kinda helps force leaves up into the net. Amazon.com : Universal Leaf Gulper Pool Vacuum : Swimming Pool Pressure Cleaners : Patio, Lawn Garden

Lastly, a tiny bit of homework.
Can you add your pool surface, filter, gallons etc. to your signature on your profile (go to profile and look to edit signature, left menu)? And let us know if you have any water table issues.

That will help when/if we discuss whether you want to consider using a trash pump/drain before slamming to get some of the crud, or whether you're as well off scooping and slamming.

Trust me, you'll be glad you found TFP. Here's a pic for inspiration:

image.jpg

It can be overwhelming at first. Get the kit, post your results (if you have problems testing, folks will walk you through that too) and make the additions necessary. As you begin to test and tinker things will just start slotting into your head, making sense. BY the time you get to the end of it, this method will be as easy/natural as getting yourself ready for work, probably easier because it takes minutes a day to monitor and stay on top of things.

Something very important too ~ this method is a method that you can't mix and match with others. So you have to commit 100%. That means avoiding the Pool Store advice is you are asking them what to put in to clear it or if you have neighbors and coworkers offering tips to help you have to just let their advice come in one ear and go right out the other, staying dedicated to following this process. Once you start this, you stay with this and only this no matter how thin your patience wears.

Faster results will be achieved the more hours of the day you are able to keep your pool in SLAM. If you fall out of SLAM that does delay the process. That doesn't mean this method is inferior, it just reinforces how important it is to maintain SLAM level for the result you desire.

You will need the test kit
Filtration that is in working order
A pool brush
Possibly a vacuum or a net to get organics out of you water
Test results from the kit (the kit is key and I too have nothing in on promoting the kit, I am just average Joe Forum user who stumbled in here)

Once you have results you will post them
And you will go on from there
You will also at some point need Bleach/ Liquid Chlorine, possibly some other things as well, but that won't be known until you have a kit, test and post the results.

Please don't start blindly chucking things in the pool, you will only be setting yourself back. I can say this... I am a middle-aged woman (that was very painful to type!) working a very full time job and my pool is in an area with a lot of tree waste, field drift, and it has people in it all the time. I am easily able to manage pristine waters. I have not once seen pool water that looked like mine, nothing even close. This is very easy. It is also a tremendous money and time saver because you no longer have to fight the water.

Good Luck!

I have my dimensions of my round pool. It's 22' by 4' deep all around. I have a 100 gpm cartridge filter and a automatic sanitizer hooked up too. I'm desperate for help. The pool is filled and smells like the zoo. Thanks

While you wait on test kit arrival, make sure all your equipment is functional, and start clearing any and all debris out that you can. Stay out of the water, you'll have to scoop from outside of it but anything you remove will absolutely be for the greater good. Someone might give you a suggestion of the amount of bleach/liquid chlorine to add while you await test kit arrival. Keep the water moving as much as you can. I am not sure about the sanitizer, you may be advised not to run that. That's out of my league. I am absolutely sure though you can brush walls and scoop debris out though; anything you can get ~ get it out of there. Might be an idea to get a trash can to dump it into/ I use a can or 5 gallon buckets if I am scooping debris, to keep the area tidy.

As you have the kit on order you can buy some liquid chlorine/bleach ~ store it in a cool shady area until you are ready for it. You may have to purchase other things as well ~ someone in the know will advise you on that too. A couple cases of liquid chlorine/bleach will be needed and then some I would imagine but start with a decent amount so you can really start to hammer once you post numbers.

You will get that pool clean, it will sparkle. Take pictures ~ a lot of folks take them looking down at their stairs ~ allows you to see by the picture progress is being made, even when you don't see it to look with your eyes. And it's always nice to have pictures of it grody because you won't believe how things are soon to change.

Good Luck & toss some pictures up for us to watch along with you :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Honestly I just used some PH paper I had on hand to test the water. I got the smaller kit due to being a little short on cash. I got a lot of the big leaves and gunk out. Still some left I'm working on but the majority is gone.

I bought the kit that specifically stated it didn't come with a ph tester in it. I had the paper and thought I could save a few bucks. I may end up having to buy a test anyway if the paper is unreliable. Batavia is in Illinois about an hour west of Chicago

I live on west side very close to downtown. I appreciate the offer but I won't be home until the evening all week. Does anything after 330 work for you? I would like to have a precise PH reading. But can you help me with the info you already have? I'm dying to get started. I'm not sure how to pm. I use my phone to navigate this site.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.