New Pool Owner, First Algae Attack

May 2, 2016
Four Oaks, NC
New 27' round AGP with salt generator installed in April. All of April and May the pool was crystal clear with temps in the 70s and low 80s and had to turn down my SWG to 20% because my CL levels were over 10. Family got in the pool for extended periods of time this weekend for the first time, followed by several days of mid 90s. Came home today to a green pool. My initial levels as follows:
FC 0.5
CC ? 0-0.5
PH 7.5
TA 100
CYA 65

Added 112oz of 10% liquid chlorine (all that I had) and vacuumed the bottom as much as I could until it got dark out. Left pump and sand filter running on high speed.

Recheck Cl levels:
FC 7
CC 0-0.5

My question is, do I need to SLAM the pool or will a sufficient chlorine level along with filtering clear it up? It is going to be close to 100 this weekend and would like to be able to safely use it. What should I do? Is it safe to get in the pool to vacuum easier? At what chlorine level should I not get in?

Thanks a lot!

If it turned green, you need to SLAM Process. It may be a brief SLAM Process since you're on it, but you need to follow it through to completion or the green will be back real soon.

You can get in the water all the way to shock level. So if you want to let FC drop a bit before people go swimming, it's your call. It will just slow things down a little. If the water is too cloudy to see the floor, it's not safe to swim in. You want to see someone on the bottom.

Yes, with a green pool and almost no chlorine you need to SLAM.

Chlorine level is set based on the CYA level and the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. FC must be maintained above minimum at all times for the pool to be sanitary and not allow algae to grow. FC must be raised to shock level to kill algae using this process, SLAM Process

It is safe to swim when
FC is above minimum and below shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]
PH is between 7.2 and 7.8
Water is clear

Thanks for the advice. I did fail to mention that the water wasn't really green, just the bottom of the pool. I did go first thing this morning and get 5 gallons of 8% bleach. The pool did not look all that bad the next morning, just cloudy and not much if any green. I put in 4 gallons and an hour later measured FC 35, it went up a bit more than I expected based on the calculator. I was shooting for 28 based on my cya of 65.

Rechecked at 2:30 and FC was 17. I got in the pool and vacuumed while the FC was low. After finishing, I put in another gallon (all that I had left) and rechecked a few hours later, it was 21.5 . I would really like to use the pool tomorrow as it approaches 100. Do you think I'm safe to leave it fall the rest of the day and tomorrow morning then go in tomorrow afternoon? Will an OCLT still be relevant if the levels are below SLAM level tonight? There's no green and only moderately cloudy, as I can see the design on the floor form standing on the deck.

Thank you for everyone's help! I went from 19.5 to 19 overnight so I think I'm in the clear. pH went up slightly to 7.8 with the constant pump running so I added 16oz muriatic acid to get back to 7.5. Pool is still cloudy, but can still see the design on the bottom, so it's probably safe for the family to get in today? Considering adding some DE to the skimmer to help clear the cloudiness up quicker.

Thank you for everyone's help! I went from 19.5 to 19 overnight so I think I'm in the clear. pH went up slightly to 7.8 with the constant pump running so I added 16oz muriatic acid to get back to 7.5. Pool is still cloudy, but can still see the design on the bottom, so it's probably safe for the family to get in today? Considering adding some DE to the skimmer to help clear the cloudiness up quicker.
DE sounds like a good idea. All the activity in the water will keep any fine stuff in suspension so the filter can grab it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.