White foam bubbles and high TA

Jul 2, 2014
Hudson, wi
Hi All,

Just finished installing my SWCG last week and in the process had a small algae outbreak. Things are coming around, I added salt to the pool and am trying to get this thing going. I added well under what they recommended but still ended up with to much salt. First couple days the SWCG was reading around 3000 but now it bounces between 34-3500, hopefully it will be ok here this year and I can fix it during the fill next spring. What I am seeing now is a very fine foam/bubbles on the surface of the pool, almost like an oil slick. I am running the pump around the clock for now to get things going and take car of the algae. My test results tonight are
FC-13
TA-190
CH-150
CYA-40
PH-7.5
CC-1.5

My check after 2 hours only showed a .5 drop in FC. suggestions?

Thanks
Michael

Ok, I added a little acid to bring the TA down, I'll add another gallon of bleach tonight. thanks
Just forget everything but FC & CC during a SLAM. TA doesn't cloud water or cause the foaming. That's either cheap algaecide or algae dying off. It'll go away if you keep the FC up. Don't skip the brushing and vacuuming and cleaning out behind lights and steps.

It finally warmed up enough and stopped raining long enough to get in the pool Saturday. I see why I have been having some issues, what a mess. I scrubbed every nook and cranny (sp), which is hard to do from out of the pool, and cleaned it up pretty good, now letting the chlorine do its job. On the slam Fc levels, is the level given a min or max?
The salt thing kinda makes me upset as well, the SWCG is reading around 35-3700 :( You can tell there is salt in the pool. As long as that isn't to high I'll live with it this year and fix it when I fill the pool up next year. Thanks for the help.

It's also good to see so much traffic on this site, lots of people looking for answers and trying to do things on their own.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.