I got my test kit!! Now what!!?

Jun 4, 2016
Arlington, TX
fe17ff90d58e7616d77cb68b12e19190.jpg
312d759715dcb936c6e7c2ee14bef13e.jpg

(Salt water pool, **estimated until further notice**12,000 gallons, currently a SWAMP, 3-5 foot deep, DE filter, *i don't think I have a SWG?)

Nothing, I haven't touched it. Now, is there somewhere I can look to learn what everything is? I haven't moved anything in the test kit everything sits as it was shipped. But I am not sure what to do with what. I want to create a diagram for not only myself but my family so I can put us on a schedule to do this so we can get the pool clean.

(Salt water pool, **estimated until further notice**12,000 gallons, currently a SWAMP, 3-5 foot deep, DE filter, *i don't think I have a SWG?)

Would it be a better idea to drain my pool and start from scratch? Cost wise? The pool walls have green on them and could use a good scrubbing.

Read the instructions that came with the kit, and search youtube for videos on how to test. There (probably) is no need to drain unless you have high CYA or CH. Basically you just need to start shocking (SLAMing), filtering, brushing, and vacuuming. But we need test results in order to help with amounts.

1. Somebody needs to catch that shark!!

2. Read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.

3. Read the directions in the test kit

4. Perform the tests and post the results.

It actually looks like your pH is high - hard to exactly make it out but looks to be 8.2 which means that it could actually be higher. Add MA and target 7.5 for pH using Poolmath. No surprises that your there is no chlorine without any being added.

Can you post up the rest of your results. We post test results like this

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

We need all the numbers to help you take the next few steps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just went through this. You'll want to head to Walmart and grab 20 or so pool chlorine bleach or some concentrated bleach also get some cya chances are high you'll need it. Post results, figure out how to work equipment, and get ready to work a whole lot haha. Good luck. These guys will steer you in the right direction for sure.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Step 1...open beer
Step 2...only use the pH side of that square tester thing, not the chlorine/bromine side.
Step 3...follow the instruction card to the letter.
Step 4...open beer

Guys quick, I'm about to give y'all my results but I can't figure out how to test the CC and the FC , help???

Guys quick, I'm about to give y'all my results but I can't figure out how to test the CC and the FC , help???

Even if the FC is zero, run the CC test, too.

The rest of the test videos are available here: https://www.youtube.com/user/TF100TestKit/videos
We're especially interested in the CYA and CH tests. Everything else can be fixed, but if those are way high you'll need to drain some water, so find that out before the first drop of chemical hits the swamp.

Put pool water to the 10 mark in your vial. Add 1 heaping scoop of powder 0870. Swirl well. Add drops of 0871 one by one holding the bottle vertically. Count each drop. and swirl inbetween each drop. When the solution turns clear, add one more drop. If there's no color change, subtract that last drop. Then, using the SAME solution, add 5 drops of 0003. If it is clear, CC is 0. If not, add a drop of 0871 and swirl. Keep doing that until it is clear. Count the drops and divide by 2. That is your CC. Then right away rinse out the vial.

Alright here we go:

PH - 8.2+

TC - below .5??

FC - 0, didn't turn pink

CC - 0, turned a very VERY pale pink. Hardly noticeable

TA - about 120-130

CH - about 200

CYA - below 20, the sticker never changed.

I am writing down how to do all of these tests in my journal I've been writing from what I've learned for future reference so I can move quick next time, give me about 20 mins and I'll tell you everything I have on hand right now. For CYA I mean the little black sticker at the bottom of the test tube. According to instructions it is supposed to disappear. It did not disappear even a bit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.