Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I got my test kit!! Now what!!?

1. Back To Top    #1

I got my test kit!! Now what!!?

(Salt water pool, **estimated until further notice**12,000 gallons, currently a SWAMP, 3-5 foot deep, DE filter, *i don't think I have a SWG?)
    SWG IG pool, *estimated until further notice* 12k gallons, DE Filter, in ground skimmer, currently a SWAMP.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I got my test kit!! Now what!!?

First step, get a full set of test results! Have you been putting in anything?
    SLAM * Chlorine/CYA Chart * Pool Math * Pool School
    17.5k gal IG Fiberglass, Triton II TR60 Sand Filter, Jacuzzi Magum Force Pump 1.5 hp, 3/4 hp booster, Polaris 280, TF-100 Test Kit with Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Nothing, I haven't touched it. Now, is there somewhere I can look to learn what everything is? I haven't moved anything in the test kit everything sits as it was shipped. But I am not sure what to do with what. I want to create a diagram for not only myself but my family so I can put us on a schedule to do this so we can get the pool clean.

(Salt water pool, **estimated until further notice**12,000 gallons, currently a SWAMP, 3-5 foot deep, DE filter, *i don't think I have a SWG?)
    SWG IG pool, *estimated until further notice* 12k gallons, DE Filter, in ground skimmer, currently a SWAMP.

4. Back To Top    #4

Would it be a better idea to drain my pool and start from scratch? Cost wise? The pool walls have green on them and could use a good scrubbing.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Apart from putting up your test results, you need to familiarise yourself with Pool School and the Poolmath tabs above.

With a green pool you need to also have a read through this article on how to SLAM the pool.
    11 000 gallons, IG, Fibreglass, Monarch Sand Filter, Davey Typhoon C100M 1HP pump, Davey Chloromatic Mc16CTO ESR SWG, Davey Pool Wall Climba Robot, Daisy Solar Cover,
    K-2006

6. Back To Top    #6

Read the instructions that came with the kit, and search youtube for videos on how to test. There (probably) is no need to drain unless you have high CYA or CH. Basically you just need to start shocking (SLAMing), filtering, brushing, and vacuuming. But we need test results in order to help with amounts.
    SLAM * Chlorine/CYA Chart * Pool Math * Pool School
    17.5k gal IG Fiberglass, Triton II TR60 Sand Filter, Jacuzzi Magum Force Pump 1.5 hp, 3/4 hp booster, Polaris 280, TF-100 Test Kit with Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

1. Somebody needs to catch that shark!!

2. Read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.

3. Read the directions in the test kit

4. Perform the tests and post the results.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Looks like pools pretty acidic and chlorine is low

9. Back To Top    #9

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

It actually looks like your pH is high - hard to exactly make it out but looks to be 8.2 which means that it could actually be higher. Add MA and target 7.5 for pH using Poolmath. No surprises that your there is no chlorine without any being added.

Can you post up the rest of your results. We post test results like this

FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA

We need all the numbers to help you take the next few steps.
    11 000 gallons, IG, Fibreglass, Monarch Sand Filter, Davey Typhoon C100M 1HP pump, Davey Chloromatic Mc16CTO ESR SWG, Davey Pool Wall Climba Robot, Daisy Solar Cover,
    K-2006

11. Back To Top    #11

Okay I will post as soon as I learn how do measure the rest. Give me a moment

12. Back To Top    #12

I just went through this. You'll want to head to Walmart and grab 20 or so pool chlorine bleach or some concentrated bleach also get some cya chances are high you'll need it. Post results, figure out how to work equipment, and get ready to work a whole lot haha. Good luck. These guys will steer you in the right direction for sure.

33k IG Gunite, Hayward T-15 Cell SWG, Hayward Sand Filter S210T , Pump Wisper Flo 1.5 HP, Test Kit K-2006

13. Back To Top    #13

Step 1...open beer
    Step 2...only use the pH side of that square tester thing, not the chlorine/bromine side.
    Step 3...follow the instruction card to the letter.
    Step 4...open beer
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

14. Back To Top    #14

Dave: Is OP a candidate for tip replacement?

15. Back To Top    #15

Guys quick, I'm about to give y'all my results but I can't figure out how to test the CC and the FC , help???

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Baeritto View Post
    Guys quick, I'm about to give y'all my results but I can't figure out how to test the CC and the FC , help???

Even if the FC is zero, run the CC test, too.

The rest of the test videos are available here: https://www.youtube.com/user/TF100TestKit/videos
    We're especially interested in the CYA and CH tests. Everything else can be fixed, but if those are way high you'll need to drain some water, so find that out before the first drop of chemical hits the swamp.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

17. Back To Top    #17

Put pool water to the 10 mark in your vial. Add 1 heaping scoop of powder 0870. Swirl well. Add drops of 0871 one by one holding the bottle vertically. Count each drop. and swirl inbetween each drop. When the solution turns clear, add one more drop. If there's no color change, subtract that last drop. Then, using the SAME solution, add 5 drops of 0003. If it is clear, CC is 0. If not, add a drop of 0871 and swirl. Keep doing that until it is clear. Count the drops and divide by 2. That is your CC. Then right away rinse out the vial.

18. Back To Top    #18

Alright here we go:

PH - 8.2+

TC - below .5??

FC - 0, didn't turn pink

CC - 0, turned a very VERY pale pink. Hardly noticeable

TA - about 120-130

CH - about 200

CYA - below 20, the sticker never changed.

19. Back To Top    #19

Okay. Great job!

Do you have any muriatic acid? (We call it MA).

Do you have any liquid chlorine or bleach?

CYA: what sticker? Do you have CYA on hand?

20. Back To Top    #20

I am writing down how to do all of these tests in my journal I've been writing from what I've learned for future reference so I can move quick next time, give me about 20 mins and I'll tell you everything I have on hand right now. For CYA I mean the little black sticker at the bottom of the test tube. According to instructions it is supposed to disappear. It did not disappear even a bit.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast