Thank you TFP - you've made managing pool water chemistry so easy

Chasmengr

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
May 12, 2016
Omaha, NE
Using K-2006 per TFP recommendation (before joining TFP, we were going to use strips), initial fill water from local utility:
FC = 0
CC = 0
pH = 8.4
TA = 60
CH =160
CYA = 0

Using PoolMath and accurate pool volume from carefully recorded water meter readings during fill:

We added over five days three partial doses of CYA, three partial doses of baking soda, one dose of No-More-Muriatic-Acid, trichlor with feeder, and two GLB SuperSonic shocks (serious clouding after second shock <apparent CC> cleared overnight with pump on high speed (yesterday's readings: FC = 0; CC = >1)).

Today's test results:
FC = 3.2
CC = 0
pH = 7.3
TA = 100 (out of baking soda, or I'd add a touch more)
CH (not tested)
CYA = 30 (guess - I'm out of reagent, but added CYA yesterday per PoolMath to achieve 30 from ~20 reading. More reagent ordered from TFtestkits.)

original feeder setting = 2
moved to 2.5 a few days ago
moved to 2.75 today.

Having a quality road map is so very helpful !!! Thank you so much, TFP.

Radiant Pool's regional and national sales reps plan to visit our install next week. Radiant saw our pics on TFP, and noticed our pool did not have some structural parts they now provide as standard on the model of pool we bought a year ago. They are providing those parts at no charge, and are visiting to help install them :)

Yeah for customer support (and protecting their warranty exposure no doubt)!

PS: we do expect some chemistry related hiccups/issues along the way, but our first experience using TFP methods is very comforting and confidence building :)

Just remember that trichlor adds CYA. so not sure of your game plan but as CYA level gets higher you will need higher level of chlorine, If you are going to use it all year you will need to do a water exchange to be able to manage CYA. Seems you probably know this as it seems you are well read on TFP, but thought I would mention just in case you missed it. That is why most people hear use liquid chlorine, not trichlor.

Yes, we are aware, but we have a supply of trichlor the Pool Store provided when we bought our pool package; we have learned so much since then (including stay away from pool stores). We also invested in a trichlor feeder before we knew better, so will use the trichlor for now, and test CYA frequently to see how fast it rises. We're hoping the fall pump down for closing will eliminate enough CYA to start with low CYA next year. We're on learning curve . . .

- - - Updated - - -

Glad to hear you are doing so well.... and apparently a showcase for your builder. :)

Thanks!

BTW, we're the builder :)

From your initial post , it sounded like you were well read and knew what you were doing but thought I would mention just in case. I also have an inherited trichlor feeder, If I did math correctly, for my pool an 8 ounce puck adds 1.1 ppm to my pool. i only open with CYA set to 30 so I can use it for vacations or times when I can not be there, it worked well last year so I am starting that way this year. I will use more chlorine at the beginning from only having CYA of 30 and I will not go over 50. I also bought a bucket of 3" pucks before learning TFP but I believe it lasts a long time so it can be used next year again to start up. I am also investigating a more automated system to add chlorine for future. Any pics of your pool it sounds really nice. Have a great time enjoying that new pool this season

Today's readings:

CYA = 32
TA = 105
FC = 0.8 (added liquid chlorine per PoolMath with target of 4. Still have trichlor feeder on line, but it's almost wide open, and can't keep FC up.)
CC = <0.2
pH = 8.0 (added MA per PoolMath with target of 7.6)
Water temp = 88F - awaiting arrival of fountains (Cheryl liked the 3-tier floating ones instead of home made :) meanwhile aiming return up.
Water is clear

Thank you TFP!! You're fabulous!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.