Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand in the system

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand in the system

Hi all! I've got a new-to-me Doughboy that's probably 15-20 years old, but with a new liner and a bunch of hose this spring (and some diligent testing and bleach-adding!) I've had great success so far, and just in time for the hot weather!

In addition to the new hose, I put a couple of old residential solar water heater panels in the system; after the sand filter it goes through the panels, gets a little warmer, and back into the return. It added about 1-2 psi to the system, no big deal -- I seem to run around 17 psi normally.

So after I topped 20 psi, I figured I'd backwash the sand filter -- I ran it about 10 minutes until it was clear. Then I neglected to run the rinse cycle after, just went straight back to the filter setting, and let it run. Didn't see any dirty water, so didn't worry.

Two days later I take off the cover and there's a plume of sand under the return. So I figure it was because I didn't rinse after backwash, so I stuck a stocking in my skimmer basket, vacuumed up the sand, and continued on.

Now every day I find another maybe 1/8th of a cup that's gathered under the return; I sock-up the skimmer basket and vacuum it up, but I'm starting to wonder if it's something else. We're on the fourth day of this happening now; I probably run the thing 6 hours or so a day, usually to maximize the solar gain through the panels. To be clear, it's a long run thanks to those panels -- 50 feet of 1.25" hose, plus two panels; is it possible the sand from my mistake is still clearing?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand in the system

Always rinse after backwash at least 30 seconds, also maybe it's time for a sand deep wash...
    Last edited by Piolin; 06-10-2016 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Spelling
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Well I've since backwashed again and rinsed for a good long while, it's continuing to spit about 1/8th of a cup of sand into the pool every day of running. I've set up yet another stocking, this time in front of the return, to catch the sand. Not a sustainable solution, however; eventually I'll be out of sand in the filter!

My thought was perhaps a damaged lateral -- then I see Doughboy's Media Master sand filter doesn't have laterals. I've no idea what to do next.

4. Back To Top    #4

I will bypass the solar panels, they could be full of sand and maybe will be clogged, until you stop the issue, also I will open the sand filter, and wash the sand or replace it, hope other people can recommend you more... Good luck
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP

5. Back To Top    #5

The corner stone of TFP