Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Recommendations for seeing the bottom to vacuum

1. Back To Top    #1

Recommendations for seeing the bottom to vacuum

Anyone have any hints or tricks to better see the bottom when your vacuuming? I simply can't see through all the surface reflections.

Pool Stats: 24" Round Above Ground - Vinyl - 13,500 Gallons | Filter: Hayward Sand S180T | Pump: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix | Testing Kit: TF-100 | Mount Pleasant, Tennessee

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Recommendations for seeing the bottom to vacuum

Wait till there is very little wind.Also anti reflective sun glasses

Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

EASY...I put on my scuba gear, and take the vac head in my hand, and swim underwater, vacuuming up here and there. Works great, and can see everything plain as day!
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Polarized sunglasses. And do it early in the morning or late in the evening when there is less (or no) direct sun on the surface.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by flyweed View Post
    EASY...I put on my scuba gear, and take the vac head in my hand, and swim underwater, vacuuming up here and there. Works great, and can see everything plain as day!
    You are a man ( or woman) after my own heart!! How many vacuums can you get out of an 80?
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........

6. Back To Top    #6

Nice looking water!! What a nice problem to have
    SLAM * Chlorine/CYA Chart * Pool Math * Pool School
    17.5k gal IG Fiberglass, Triton II TR60 Sand Filter, Jacuzzi Magum Force Pump 1.5 hp, 3/4 hp booster, Polaris 280, TF-100 Test Kit with Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Polarized sunglasses. And do it early in the morning or late in the evening when there is less (or no) direct sun on the surface.
    Absolutely agree. I cannot vacuum without wearing my polarized sunglasses! or you could gently slip into the pool and wear some goggles and do it underwater and have your neighbors think you've lost your marbles, whichever way works

Also, in my cheapo intex pool i make sure the return isnt pointed up and breaking the surface of the water, that helps a little bit too
    Intex 16'x48" Ultra Frame
    Intex 2,650-Gallon Sand Filter Pump
    Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater Filtration System
    Taylor K-2006

8. Back To Top    #8

Another vote for the scuba mask and snorkel! Thats the only way I'm able to do a thorough vacuum job

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Jamison04 View Post
    Another vote for the scuba mask and snorkel! Thats the only way I'm able to do a thorough vacuum job
    I suppose I'll have to go this route as well. The city says I need to install railings around the pool. I won't have side access anymore
    Pool Stats: 24" Round Above Ground - Vinyl - 13,500 Gallons | Filter: Hayward Sand S180T | Pump: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix | Testing Kit: TF-100 | Mount Pleasant, Tennessee

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Razorhog View Post
    x2 . . .
    Chas & Cheryl (first-time, second-year pool owners)
    Radiant Metric Oval AGP 16'x32'x52"; Pentair: Clean&Clear 150 Cartridge, OptiFlo 1.5 Hp 2-spd, and 320C Feeder (all mounted below water level); Taylor K-2006 & SpeedStir; Maytronics Dolphin E10 (aka Einstein)
    installation pics (2015-2016)

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Razorhog View Post
    But there is no cure for sparklypoolitis.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

Keep your return down from breaking the surface of the water. That should help a lot!!!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Keep your return down from breaking the surface of the water. That should help a lot!!!
    YEP,helps alot

Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

OMG TFP problems....
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

15. Back To Top    #15

I have teh same problem, but I also have a "sunlight sparkle" liner pattern. Even when udner the water I can't tell which way is up.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo