Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: need help.. zero fc

1. Back To Top    #1

need help.. zero fc

Hi I have a 15000 gal in ground pool.. no fc... cloudy pool shocked twice... TDS 2400 CYA 24 fc 0 ph 7.1 alka 170 hardness 201 any suggestions???
    I have a test kit not taylor.. but a pretty good one..
    16 x32 vinyl IG Sand filter Hayward Chlorine pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: need help.. zero fc

If you do not have the FAS-DPD chlorine test, then the kit is not good enough.
    I am going to guess you got a Color Q?

You need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process and that requires the FAS-DPD chlorine test and an accurate CYA reading.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

pentair pro 11 Rainbow

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks

5. Back To Top    #5

Question... How much bleach should I buy to get a good start on slam??? thanks

6. Back To Top    #6

I did a little googling. It looks like that test kit uses the tablets to test FC, and it also says it on;y reads up to 10.

Problem is, you need to be above 10 FC to SLAM. It's in the prerequisites. You need to have a FAS-DPD chlorine test. Even if your tester could read high enough, it isn't accurate enough to determine when you've passed the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.

So before you go off and buy a bunch of bleach, you need to get a proper test kit, or at least a proper chlorine test. It looks like the other tests are pretty much the same as Taylors. Different numbers on the bottles, but probably the same stuff. So you could just add the FAS-DPD tester by itself.

To answer your question: ten or twelve gallons to start. You can add a jug of standard 8.25% bleach every day to try to keep things from deteriorating, but there's no point in kidding yourself that you're going to SLAM when you're working blind. SLAMming without a FAS-DPD test is like painting a portrait in the dark. You might get paint on the canvas but you won't like the end result. All you'll have done is ruin a canvas and waste paint and time.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks.. I will order it today and try to keep things from getting worse... Does the taylor 2600 work ok? if so I may as well order it.. thanks!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jan2227 View Post
    Thanks.. I will order it today and try to keep things from getting worse... Does the taylor 2600 work ok? if so I may as well order it.. thanks!
    The K-2006 includes that FAS-DPD test. So does the TF100, and it also includes a CYA standard reagent so you can actually test a known value to perrect your technique. It ships from NC, so you'd probably have it the next day.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Help Please!

Now I have a taylor kit and trying to understand all of it... I have a question about the FC & CC test.. it took 16 drops to turn so that is 32 ppm abd when i added the 5 drops of r003 it turned pink... what is the cc reading??? I know I sound like I'm in the dark.. and I am.. my TA is 15 Cal H 160 and CYA 50.. my pool is cloudy and can barely see bottom of 3ft...

10. Back To Top    #10

Jan,

I am confused. You had this same problem last year and said you bought a test kit then.

no free chlorien battle...help!!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

11. Back To Top    #11

After adding the 5 drops of R0003, you then count the 871 drops again until it turns clear for the cc.

What volume of water sample did you use? 10ml each drop is 0.5ppm, 25ml each drop is 0.2ppm.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Re: jan2227

taylor 2006 I got stumped with the free and combined test... followed along with a youtube... It took 16 drops to clear and 5 drops r0003 it turned pink... how do I get the combine chlorine and is the 32ppm my free? 20,000 gal sand filter

- - - Updated - - -

ph 7.6
    ta 150
    cal 160
    cya 50

13. Back To Top    #13

yes I did get a kit but it was not a taylor .. pentair pro 11 rainbow... it did not do FAS DPD

- - - Updated - - -

25ml

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by jan2227 View Post
    yes I did get a kit but it was not a taylor .. pentair pro 11 rainbow... it did not do FAS DPD

- - - Updated - - -

25ml
    With a 25ml sample for the FC test, each drop is 0.2ppm.

Drops X 0.2 = FCppm
    16 X 0.2 = 3.2ppm

Your FC = 3.2ppm

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

Now that I have my bleach and I know I need to get to shock level of 24 how many gallons do you suggest putting in at one time?

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Pool Math will tell you for sure.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

17. Back To Top    #17

Yup, time to start using PoolMath ... you are going to have to use it every time you test and add chemicals.
    Jason, TFP Moderator