Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Concerns after first cartridge filter clean

1. Back To Top    #1

Concerns after first cartridge filter clean

We are in the middle of a SLAM and as part of the process we cleaned the cartridge filter yesterday for the first time. That seemed to go fine, but when we started the pump again it made a slight squealing/"urching" sound which eventually dissipated. It had never done that before.

I made a note it the filter pressure after cleaning. 13 psi.

This morning I checked pressure and it was down to 11. Since then, due to the SLAM, we've scrubbed the skimmers and vacuumed out crud (cement, dirt etc) from the capped pipe at the bottom of the skimmers. I just checked pressure again and it's at 10. I can also hear water running through the pipes at the pad which I never heard before. The sound at the pump returned too, but less than yesterday. I opened up the strainer basket and felt inside for debris near the impeller, but it felt all clean.

Do any of these issues sound concerning, and if so, what do I need to do? Thanks for any help you can give.
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Concerns after first cartridge filter clean

I would open the cart filter up again and verify that you installed the cart properly. It's usually the last thing that you did that is the problem. Worth looking at.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have my husband check it out and see if it helps.
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:

4. Back To Top    #4

Is hearing water flowing through the pipes normal?

5. Back To Top    #5

Not sure what the problem was, exactly, but the above issues have seemed to resolve once we opened up and reassembled the filter. Thanks for the simple solution!