Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lowering chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Lowering chlorine

Could i lower my chlorine by adding ammonia to the pool. Was slaming the pool and guess my son overshot the chlorine by alot yesterday. Its over 50 ppm (stopped at 100 drops it was still pinkish) We have a big gathering tomorrow and was planned on the pool being ready. Its clear with a slight cloudiness in the deep end. I have over 40 gallons of 12% chlorine to fight if it kills too much.
    36000 gallon IG Concrete, Pentair Intelliflo VS , Pentair TA-100D Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lowering chlorine

I do not understand your last sentence.

What is your CYA?
    You can use hydrogen peroxide to lower the FC.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you know what your cya is. I read in another thread about using hydrogen peroxide to reduce it. Check into that.
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Cya is 40, i saw that too just wondering how much it would take to lower to acceptable levels

5. Back To Top    #5

It will lower FC at the same rate that bleach raises FC. Enter your target FC in Now and what you want it to be in Now. Choose 8.25% bleach and that amount of HP will lower FC that amount.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Is it that amount in gallons correct? Guess I'm just getting desperate so was thinking of using ammonia

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes. You can buy HP by the gallon at the drug store.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Using ammonia to lower FC shortly before a gathering is a terrible idea. It will create a large CC situation that will make your water very uncomfortable. Strong chlorine smell, burning eyes, the stereotypical chlorine pool symptoms.

Use peroxide or a store bought chlorine neutralizer, not ammonia.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    Using ammonia to lower FC shortly before a gathering is a terrible idea. It will create a large CC situation that will make your water very uncomfortable. Strong chlorine smell, burning eyes, the stereotypical chlorine pool symptoms.

Use peroxide or a store bought chlorine neutralizer, not ammonia.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
    Ok thanks for all the help everyone. I "knew" it wasn't a smart idea but very desperate. Thanks again

- - - Updated - - -

No one locally had anything to reduce chlorine as far as pool store related chemicals

10. Back To Top    #10

I hope this is not too late for the party but ahem, pool stores that sell baquacil stuff have HP and they call it shock. Hope that helps.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

11. Back To Top    #11

Add your country or state to your location in your profile, I thought all drug stores sold hydrogen peroxide.
    TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Just wanted to say Thank You to everyone. The peroxide worked great needed alot less than i thought. I think my son might have measured wrong. After adding some it went down to 10ppm. Everything was great. Thanks again

13. Back To Top    #13

Excellent, thanks for the follow up!
    TFP Moderator