Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leak Test, Lossing water

1. Back To Top    #1

Leak Test, Lossing water

So I am trying to do a leak test to determine wether it is in the skimmer line or the return line.

Went to the hardware store and bought an adapter a plug and a valve stem. drilled a hole in the plug and installed the valve stem. Removed my pump

and installed the adapter. Using a bicycle pump I pumped up the line to 60psi.
    Here are the numbers

Skimmer Side
    60 Psi Start
    50 Psi @ 5min
    26 Psi @ 14min
    18 Psi @ 28min
    11 Psi @ 45min
    10 Psi @ 60min

Return side
    60 Psi Start
    55 Psi @ 5min
    48 PSI @ 14min
    42 PSI @ 28min
    32 PSI @ 60min

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Sydney, NSW, Australia

Re: Leak Test, Lossing water

Here's a couple of resources that might be helpful. Working through these descriptions step by step will give you good information.
    Pool School - Leak Detection
    Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks

Not quite visualizing this approach. You could post some pictures. Are your adapters with snifter valves at the pump end, and you've put plugs in the skimmers and returns? If so, it might be helpful to check them with soapy water to see if they're airtight. But I could be totally off-base with what you're trying.

Maybe describe the nature of the leak and comparison to a bucket test. Leaks often have nothing to do with the piping.

Some pool details in your signature would also be helpful. See the link in my signature [ read before you post - which includes a description of how to do the signature.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766 Salt, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Pentair Rebel pool cleaner; FlowViz flow meter; prior pool AG 10k - Be Safe - FC / CYA Chart - Become a TFP Supporter - Read Before Posting