Backhoses and permanent PVC replacements

ionizer

Gold Supporter
Jun 7, 2016
Marlboro, NJ
Hello everyone. Still new to the forum and this seemed like the most appropriate spot to talk about hoses related to your filter, but forgive me if I have committed the cardinal newbie rule of posting in the wrong place:

(1) Can anyone recommend a specific online site for 1.5 ft backhoses (preferable in custom lengths, but i have to measure and I am probably looking at 150-200 ft) that is durable and will last me a decade? I've seen plenty of the cheap ones and I am not looking to waste my time with that. My local store has 1.5" in the heavy blue material that they said is about $1.50 a sq ft.

(2) Has anyone run PVC pipe for extended lengths such as 150-250 ft in order to slope out the backyard (beyond my fence) into the woods? If so:
(A) how much did it cost you for what length run?
(b) do you directly pipe it into your waste line or do you put a pipe on the ground nearby (I have a pool fence between my pump and the direction it needs to go out) and then still run a heavy duty short backhose between the two
(c) regardless of (b) how do you ensure no freezing of it during winter, do you have to blow it out?

Thanks for your suggestions and feedback.

Try buying used fire hoses on ebay, you can find ones that are out of certification date very cheap (often under $40 for 75-100 ft lengths) , most were never used and spent their whole lives in fire cabinets, still plenty good for backwashing, just not for life safety applications. Plus they screw together if you need longer runs. You will need to either cut one end off to go on a hose barb connector of buy a NTP thread to NST/NH (fire hose thread) adapter, plastic adapters are $10 or so brass ones are usually less than $20.

Mine is hard plumbed with 1.5 inch PVC under ground ran a couple of hundred feet to the yard fence, that was done when the pool was built in 1980, however where I live the ground never freezes (at least never freezes more than a couple of inches below the surface) Still if done so the line always slopes down and no water is trapped in the pipe this should not be an issue. As to cost 10 ft sections of bell end PVC costs about $5 each, other than that it is just a bit of glue and trenching it in place, around here walk behind trenchers rent for about $75-$100 per day.

Ike

p.s. on used fire hoses you want to make sure they are 1.5 inch with NH or NST connectors there are other legacy standards out there that were still in use until recently in the US. Many big fire departments got stuck on proprietary thread connections due to having massive installed base of hydrants, hoses, etc. before their was a national standard.
Request Rejected

Last edited:
Try buying used fire hoses on ebay, you can find ones that are out of certification date very cheap (often under $40 for 75-100 ft lengths) , most were never used and spent their whole lives in fire cabinets, still plenty good for backwashing, just not for life safety applications. Plus they screw together if you need longer runs. You will need to either cut one end off to go on a hose barb connector of buy a NTP thread to NST/NH (fire hose thread) adapter, plastic adapters are $10 or so brass ones are usually less than $20.

Mine is hard plumbed with 1.5 inch PVC under ground ran a couple of hundred feet to the yard fence, that was done when the pool was built in 1980, however where I live the ground never freezes (at least never freezes more than a couple of inches below the surface) Still if done so the line always slopes down and no water is trapped in the pipe this should not be an issue. As to cost 10 ft sections of bell end PVC costs about $5 each, other than that it is just a bit of glue and trenching it in place, around here walk behind trenchers rent for about $75-$100 per day.

Ike

p.s. on used fire hoses you want to make sure they are 1.5 inch with NH or NST connectors there are other legacy standards out there that were still in use until recently in the US. Many big fire departments got stuck on proprietary thread connections due to having massive installed base of hydrants, hoses, etc. before their was a national standard.
Request Rejected

so they make an adaptor for fire hoses to fit directly onto my backwash connection? that's pretty cool. How easily do the firehoses wrap up though? I would think they might be really heavy?

The weight on a basic white 1.5 inch fire hose with aluminum connectors is not too bad, I would say a typical 75 ft fire hose weighs less than a medium weight garden hose of the same length, ones with brass connectors more like a medium-heavy garden hose As to the adapter you would want it would probably be a 1.5 inch male NPT to 1.5 inch NST adapter at least this would be correct for most pool filters. Should look like this
s-l225.jpg

Ike

p.s. single jacket fire hoses like typically found in fire cabinets weigh less than double jacket attack hoses typically carried on fire trucks. A quick google search shows typical 1.5 inch single jacket fire hose weighs 20 pounds for 100 ft, plus the weight of the couplers, .9 pounds for aluminum couplers or 2.3 pounds for brass So a little heavier than a medium weight garden hose,

The weight on a basic white 1.5 inch fire hose with aluminum connectors is not too bad, I would say a typical 75 ft fire hose weighs less than a medium weight garden hose of the same length, ones with brass connectors more like a medium-heavy garden hose As to the adapter you would want it would probably be a 1.5 inch male NPT to 1.5 inch NST adapter at least this would be correct for most pool filters. Should look like this
s-l225.jpg

Ike

p.s. single jacket fire hoses like typically found in fire cabinets weigh less than double jacket attack hoses typically carried on fire trucks. A quick google search shows typical 1.5 inch single jacket fire hose weighs 20 pounds for 100 ft, plus the weight of the couplers, .9 pounds for aluminum couplers or 2.3 pounds for brass So a little heavier than a medium weight garden hose,

thanks issac-1. I am going to post a picture tomorrow of the fitting i have currently on the piping off the equipment (off the multiport) and you can maybe help me find the right brass fitting on ebay.

right now im trying to search for a 150 ft fire hose on ebay, but im not going to buy until i double check my measurement and then find out about the connector on it.

You can buy hose with ends or you can buy hose with no ends and add ends using clamps.

Blue Layflat PVC Water Discharge Hose

Banjo Blk PP

Male Adapter x Male NPT

250 feet is really too far to do hoses. The amount of work is too much. Just run 1.5" or 2” schedule 40 PVC. The pipe is not expensive. The trenching is the hard part. You could even go on ground if you don’t care if it’s buried. If it runs downhill, it will self drain. Just put a vacuum breaker at the multiport waste line with a T.

Oatey 1-1/2 in. ABS PTC In-Line Cheater Vent-39012 - The Home Depot

You can buy hose with ends or you can buy hose with no ends and add ends using clamps.

Blue Layflat PVC Water Discharge Hose

yeah id need someone to dig the trench, but im worried about them hitting or running into the sprinkler lines

that blue layflat seems good... 150 ft would run me only $52 bucks. is that material the kind that will last a decade or does it blow up like a water balloon?

It's reinforced, so it shouldn't blow up. It's rated 80psi at 70f. Don't know if it will last ten years, but I suspect that it will probably do ok.

Also, I don't know the supplier. It's iust an example for the type of hose.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.