Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leak or Evaporation

1. Back To Top    #1

Leak or Evaporation

Hello everyone!

I added a raised spa a year ago. Last week as it got really hot in here during the day I noticed that my spa loses 1.5 inch from 8:00pm -7:00am (pump off) vs. pool losing 0.250 inch. Temperatures go down to 60 at night. I did a bucket test on the pool and it is alright (0.250 inch overnight for bucket and pool) but the spa kind of worries me. I calculated the water lose in gallons and turns out both the spa and the pool are losing the same amount of water but how could a spa go down 1.5 inch.? I assume if I do a bucket test on the spa the bucket wont evaporate 1.5 inch vs. spa. My spa spillovers to the pool. My concern is if I have a leak or not. No visual leakage anywhere.
    15K Kidney shape plaster gunite pool, 1.5HP Pentair Whisperflo WFE-6, DE 4820 filter, Hayward 400K BTU NG heater, 9 x 7.5 Raised Spa, 7 Waterway Jets _ One 3 main fold jet by Waterway Plastics (total 9 jets), Spa-Pentair 2HP Whisperflo WFE-8 jet pump, 12 V Hayward Universal Core Logic Pool Light for Spa, Intermatic Sub Panel.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Leak or Evaporation

Sounds like you have a partially malfunctioning check valve that is allowing spa water to drain back to the pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I have 3 check valves. Two are right before the pumps (Jandy) and one is on the spa by pass (transparent and not Jandy, has to be cut off in order to replace). Can you really tell by looking at it if it is malfunctioning.?
    15K Kidney shape plaster gunite pool, 1.5HP Pentair Whisperflo WFE-6, DE 4820 filter, Hayward 400K BTU NG heater, 9 x 7.5 Raised Spa, 7 Waterway Jets _ One 3 main fold jet by Waterway Plastics (total 9 jets), Spa-Pentair 2HP Whisperflo WFE-8 jet pump, 12 V Hayward Universal Core Logic Pool Light for Spa, Intermatic Sub Panel.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

If you had a malfunctioning check valve, the water from the spa would leak back into the pool until the level of the water and spa are equal. Then when the pump starts up, the spa fills up to the correct level. The process repeats every time the pump is off for a period of time. No water loss is happening. So, is the spa leaking back into the pool when the pump is off?

If your check valve is the type with the flapper, sometimes you can see the flap is worn. You can replace that part. If you have another style where it has two unions, one on each end, you have to replace the entire body just be unscrewing the unions and pull the old one out and insert new one. But you say yours has to be cut out. So in that case if that is the bad one, get one that has unions so you can replace it if it goes bad again.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm really not sure if spa water goes to the pool because I did a bucket test on the pool and overnight pool went down 0.250 inch as well as the bucket and at the same time spa went down 1.5 inch. I assume from this that spa water doesn't go to the pool.
    s-l300.jpg

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I have a valve between my spa and pool. When it is removed (for the winter), the water from the pool and spa are connected so that they equal out. I keep this connection plugged during swim season.

If you do have a leak, it might be underground which would be more noticeable when the pump is running. You could try a bucket test with the pump running.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Sounds like you have a partially malfunctioning check valve that is allowing spa water to drain back to the pool.
    I have 3 check valves. Two are right before the pumps (Jandy) and one is on the spa by pass (transparent and not Jandy, has to be cut off in order to replace). Can you really tell by looking at it if it is malfunctioning.?

8. Back To Top    #8

Hello,

Is this a sign of a leak on the suction side? or this is normal. This my jet pump.
    IMG_2623.jpg