Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Capacitor melted - What to replace?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Capacitor melted - What to replace?

I opened the pump to run my waterfall and spa jets, Sta-Rite with a #U27-1221 (C48J2PA105C1) motor, and noticed black melted plastic inside the cap and under the capacitor. Have anyone ever had this happen to them?

I recently replaced that capacitor and I'm sure I replaced it with the same specs as the original capacitor. I'm also sure that I connected the capacitor exactly how the old capacitor was connected. I'm guessing replacing the capacitor is the smart thing to do? Or should I be focusing on replacing the motor or pump? Should I be worried and immediately shut off the circuit or anything else?
    35x18 21,300 Gallon Pool with 8 752 Gallon Overflow Spa || IG || Plaster || DE Filter (American Products) 48 SQ FT || American Model 72 Separation Tank) || GAS Pool Heater (Comfort Zone) || 1HP Jandy || 1.5HP Sta-rite Dura Glas pump || Maryland || TF100 Testkit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Capacitor melted - What to replace?

You might have just gotten a bad capacitor. It happens. However, if there is a short in the start winding, that could also be a problem. Do you have a multi-meter? You can measure the resistance across the starter winding (without capacitor) to see if it is shorted.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pump Capacitor melted - What to replace?

Thank you! I do not have a multi-meter but I will get one and test the start winding and pick up a new capacitor when the stores open next week.
    35x18 21,300 Gallon Pool with 8 752 Gallon Overflow Spa || IG || Plaster || DE Filter (American Products) 48 SQ FT || American Model 72 Separation Tank) || GAS Pool Heater (Comfort Zone) || 1HP Jandy || 1.5HP Sta-rite Dura Glas pump || Maryland || TF100 Testkit