Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How far can my sand filter and 1.5 HP Hayward Pump with Salt Cell be from my 27' AGP

1. Back To Top    #1

How far can my sand filter and 1.5 HP Hayward Pump with Salt Cell be from my 27' AGP

Hi we are currently installing a 27' Round AGP that is countersunk with a 9 Salt Cell system and 1.5 HP sand filter. How far away from the pool can the sand filter and pump be from the pool?
    27' Round Monterrey Above Ground Resin Pool - 17,500 Gallons
    10" Resin Top Ledge / 54" Wall Height - over 4ft water
    7" Extruded Resin Bottom Tract / 8" High Impact Resin Top Caps
    25 Gauge Full Printed V-Beam Liner / 1.5 HP Haywood Sand Filter
    Aqua Rite Cell 9 Salt System

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How far can my sand filter and 1.5 HP Hayward Pump with Salt Cell be from my 27'

Hi, welcome to TFP! To answer your question I need to ask a couple of questions first. Are you using a pump designed for an inground pool? Will the equipment be up hill, down hill or level with the pool? How far away do you want to put the equipment? Do you plan to bury the pipes?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: How far can my sand filter and 1.5 HP Hayward Pump with Salt Cell be from my 27'

It is a Hayward 1.5 HP Hayward Pump ProSeries Above Ground High Rate Sand Filter. No the equipment will be level with the pool. Ground is level and Pool is countersunk 2 feet in the ground and the rest above ground. We would like to put 35' feet away from pool. Yes PVC pipe will be buried.

4. Back To Top    #4

sorry that was on the sand filter - pump is Hayward Powerflo LX Pump Series

- - - Updated - - -

Pool will be level with the equipment - no hill.
    we would like equipment 35' feet from the pool
    PVC pipe will be buried

thanks for all your help!

5. Back To Top    #5

You need to include all of the other information that was asked for as well.

Its not a matter of distance, its a matter of head loss. Diamater of the pipe, type of pipe, number of bends, pool elevation vs filter elevation, if you are using a pump designed for an in-ground pool vs and above ground. ABG pool pumps are not self priming, they rely on being below the water level in the pool, in-ground pool pumps can be ablve the water level. By burying your ABG, you have in essence created an in-ground pool. If you proposed pump location is a good distance above the water line, and you bought an in-gound pump, when there there may be some issues.

-dave

Edit, just saw your updated post.

One more bit of infomration: at what height will the inlet on the pump be in releation to the waterline in your pool ? above or below, and how much ?
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

6. Back To Top    #6

It is 2 feet below water line - the pump is for AGP. the pool depth is a little over 4' / pool walls 54" tall and the pool is inset about 2 feet into the ground. 3 90's from drain at bottom of pool to pump and 2 90's from pump back to pool.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Generally, you can plan on it. That will be no problem.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

I could go through all of the math - but just to give you an idea. My 1.0 HP running though my EC-40 DE filter, sitting below the waterline, hard plumbed with 2" PVC with 8 - 90 degree bends in the loop total, sits about 18' feet from my pool and does just fine at 12 psi pre coat pressure. You are planning on being just another 18' further, with a larger pump. That should be just fine. I thought you were talking 100's of feet away, up a hill, from a fully buried pool

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

9. Back To Top    #9

OK thank you for all your help! We have settled for 25' away from the pool for the filter and pump. Total bend in loops will be 5 90's but I think we will be OK. We called Hayward and they only recommend up to 20' max, but with the 1 1/2" PVC Pipe buried I think we will be OK.

Thanks again!
    Robin