Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brand New Pump Motor Seizing

1. Back To Top    #1

Brand New Pump Motor Seizing

Just replaced the UST1072 motor on my Hayward Superpump a little over a week ago with a new Century unit and it is already seizing periodically when it turns back on after being off. Happened twice so far out of ~10 times being turned off in total. Does not trip the breaker, but buzzes for a few moments then shuts itself off (similar to what the old completely seized motor sounded like). After about 2-3 minutes it will turn back on like nothing happened. Works perfectly fine when in use.

Any idea what is happening other than being sent a dud pump? Thought I would check with the experts here before sending it back for a replacement.

Thanks!!
    25000 Gallons - Sand - IG- Vinyl

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brand New Pump Motor Seizing

Check if the motor can spin freely (shaft in the end cap).
    Perhaps the impeller is rubbing on something?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Had been running fine for the past 2+ months, would act up every once in a while but nothing I couldn't manage. Now had to have it off for two days and it won't come back up. Just buzzes and overheats. Impeller seems to be spinning pretty freely. Seems a bit further back than I remember (is it possible for it to come out of place?). Is it possible this just came with a bad start cap?

4. Back To Top    #4

If things are spinning freely and it just sit there and buzzes that does point to a capacitor.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    If things are spinning freely and it just sit there and buzzes that does point to a capacitor.
    I figured it out. Terrible explanation but I'll try my best- Was toying around when I first installed and knocked the metal spring piece out of whack. It would not fully extend and touch the starter switch? so it couldn't kick in to gear. Every time I manually extend that piece so it is touching it starts now. Just need to figure out how to fix so I don't need to jimmy it each time.

Appreciate the support!!!!

6. Back To Top    #6

Are you talking about the centrifugal switch in the back of the motor or something in a timer?
    Jason, TFP Moderator