First Results with TF-100

Jun 5, 2016
Dallas, TX
Hello all,

I received my TF-100 test kit yesterday and completed my first test with it today. Here's the results (hopefully I got them in the correct order):

FC-5 ppm
CC-0
TC-5
CH-250
TA-60 (low it appears)
CYA-60 (also low from what I read since I don't have salt water)

Also, using the taylor test kit first-it looked like I had much more FC than this. It was as red as it gets and then some. These results though were right at 5 ppm-and I was careful, is that normal? the pH on the Taylor showed 6.8, also low if that matters.

Grandsons want to swim tomorrow, comments please. Thank you!!

What was your pH?

Ok, this is the time where you learn to use http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html Enter your current levels in the left column, your goal levels in the right, tell the ap how many gallons your pool is (at the top) and then what surface, how your chlorinate and whose advice you want to take (hint: ours, TFPools.com) at the bottom. It will show you suggested ranges to work with.

Check out this link: Pool School - Recommended Levels
If you don't have a SWG, you use the bleach levels as guidance.

So it appears your FC is at the bottom of where you want it. Your goal is 7, with 5 being the very least. If it goes under 5 you risk algae. This is all based on your CYA level (see here---> [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] )

Calcium is a skosh low. You can either add it or use a few packages of Calhypo granular "shock" to raise it while at the same time raising your FC. Pool Math can help you determine how much you can use.

I can't comment on the TA level without knowing your pH. They work together.

Addendum: Just saw your pH listed- Yes, its tooooo low! You need to get some washing soda (soda ash) or Borax in there in amounts that PoolMath tells you today. Low pH is very hard on pool surfaces and equipment. Either item can be found in the laundry aisle of your grocery store. I prefer to use Borax myself. We can work on the TA later if still needed after that pH is adjusted.

Not a SWG pool right?

The TA is not a huge deal. I would just raise the pH up into the mid-upper 7s with soda ash (will add a little TA too). I say the upper 7s because your CH is a little on the low side.

I would bump up the FC some. 5ppm is the minimum for a CYA of 60ppm ... So raise it to 7-8ppm to keep it above 5.

Assuming the pool is clear, it is safe to swim now, although the low pH might be a little irritating to the eyes.

No SWG. The pool is clear, the pH is 6.8 per the Taylor test.

Ok, now I'm starting to see how it all "flows" together and works.

And in some other thread there was the suggestion to get the add on's for the kit-the magnetic stirrer and the XL reagents--THANK YOU! I did and NOW I see why that stirrer is so great! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.