Harrisburg, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have been following TFPC method since I got my pool 1-1/2 years ago. However, it is unclear to me if I need to shock the pool at opening or on any other frequency. I have a salt water pool and I open before it gets very warm. Additiinally, I have the high end Merlin mesh cover that supposedly does not let sun light in. At both openings I have had no algea when ipening and no issues maintating my normal chlorine levels (4-6 ppm). My salt water generator is size for pools up to twice my size and It only needs to run at 40% for about 12 hours per day.

However, after swimming a lot last week I got swimmers ear. It might have just been a cooncidence as no one else in the family got it, but it concerns me that maybe it was possibly due to poor disinfection. Thoughts?

I would only SLAM the pool if the water was cloudy or I noticed a larger than normal FC loss which would be followed by an OCLT.

But to answer your question, no. I haven't SLAMmed my pool ever in 3 years.

No, shocking is not necessary. It is necessary to maintain FC above minimum for your CYA at all times, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. If FC drops below minimum then your pool becomes unsanitary, has increased risk of person to person disease transmission and algae will start growing. So, keep it at target or higher, especially when lots of people are swimming.

This was the first year I HAD to SLAM my pool at opening (because a lot of junk got into the pool).

Normally my pool opens with clear water, 1 - 2 ppm of FC left over and only a trace, if any CC. I could just bring the FC levels up to normal and call it done. However, as a precaution I do bring it up to SLAM levels and then do an OCLT. It normally passes on the first night. My thought is better safe than sorry, and it only runs me the cost of about three gallons of bleach.

I don't think I have ever SLAMed the pool during the season.

-dave

There is no such thing as "SLAM level". The SL in SLAM is an abbreviation for "Shock level".

Also, he did not ask whether he needs to SLAM the pool. He asked whether he needs to shock it at any frequency.
Bringing the water to shock level is one of the recommended steps in closing a pool, so the answer is obviously that Yes, you should shock the pool regularly.

It's not going to hurt anything to bring the water up to shock level at opening, either. It may help clear the water faster if there is anything there.

There is no such thing as "SLAM level". The SL in SLAM is an abbreviation for "Shock level".

Also, he did not ask whether he needs to SLAM the pool. He asked whether he needs to shock it at any frequency.
Bringing the water to shock level is one of the recommended steps in closing a pool, so the answer is obviously that Yes, you should shock the pool regularly.

It's not going to hurt anything to bring the water up to shock level at opening, either. It may help clear the water faster if there is anything there.

Semantics.

I think anybody who has spent some time with the TFP method understands that, at it's most basic level, what we want to do is bring the CL to a level where it will do its oxidizing job (that level being dependent on CYA levels) and then hold it there until it has completed said job. They used to call it shocking on this site, until the term slamming came into fashon, because shocking just implied bringing the CL to the correct level, but it did not clearly state holding it at that level.

So, to put in into simple terms, there is no need to bringthe CL level in your pool to higher than normal levels at any time, unless the situation dictates it. Situations that may dictate it include an alge outbreak, and closing the pool. Really, that is the definiton of TFP care. There is no need to add anything to your pool unless your pool needs it. There is no need to add clarifier, sequestrant, "shock", "sani swim", extra levels of bleach, acid, baking soda or anything else unless your pool actually needs it. The way to tell if it needs it or not is to test the water. It really is that simple.

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.