Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: White Flakes in Pool / Need a sanity check

1. Back To Top    #1

White Flakes in Pool / Need a sanity check

First off, Great forum as I have been lurking hear for years, before my pool was built and almost every day after. Lots of great advise here.

I need a little help as I have noticed in the last two days that there are white flakes floating in my pool on the surface of the water. I've tried scooping them out with the net and the skimmer socks on the skimmer basket do not seem to trap it.

Pool is a 14,000 gallon in ground vinyl pool / Fiberglass steps with SWG and DE filter. I have been reading a few threads and calcium braking off of the SWG plates seems to be a common theme as a possibility, but with my test results this AM I am scratching my head a little bit.

Below are the Test results I took this AM with my TF-100

CL - 3.5
    CC - 0
    TCC - 3.5
    TA - 90
    CH - 80
    Salt - 3200
    PH - 7.8
    CYA - 70
    Temp 74

I need to grab some more MA this evening to bring down the PH. But does anyone have any ideas? Other than the white stuff floating on the top and a few leaves in the bottom, water is crystal clear.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: White Flakes in Pool / Need a sanity check

Grab some and pour a little muriatic acid on it. If it foams up it is calcium.

Enter all your numbers in Poolmath and check your CSI. Keep it between -0.3 and 0 to prevent scaling.

More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Attachment 49902
    Does it look like this? I had this end of April. Breaks up and disappears when you try to catch it. Someone thought it was something in the air (pool is screen enclosed). Never did figure it out, but it went away after a few days.
    IG 15,000 gal vinyl Grecian SW, Hayward SWG, Pentair whisper flow pump, sand filter, Aquacal ice breaker heat pump. Finished August 2015, screen enclosure, TF 100

4. Back To Top    #4

Diane T.. that's it. Checked tonight after the pump turned off and I couldn't see it.. we shall see if it's there in the AM