Replacing leaking pool pump

TomAtlanta

Sep 10, 2011
Atlanta Ga
My pool pump is leaking, and I assume it is easier to replace it than fix it. Correct?
I currently have a Hayward 1 HP. This only lasted 3 years. Does it make sense to buy some higher quality pump, or is Hayward a good deal?

It depends on where the pump is leaking. If it is the area between the wet and dry ends you may just need a new ceramic seal which would probably cost less than $20. Could you post a picture of the leak?

Yes, it could help. When the pump is off, can you feel underneath it to see if the underside of the pump is wet? Also you may be able to see drips when the pump is running. A brief video of the pump while running could help us see the problem also.

pump1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

pump2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I felt under the pump and it is dry. The leak must be coming from in front of the pump. What is the correct name for the thing that has the basket and the pipes go into?

The pictures are the best I can do now because of the contrast of sun and shade. I will try again later.

Pump running, there will not be any leaks in the front of the pump.

Pump is running and it is now leaking from under strainer pot. Feeling under the pump, both front and back, I feel no dampness. The strainer pot sits on the slab so I can not feel under it.

I will turn off the pump for the night and check in the morning.

The pump only leaks when it is running.

I left it off last night, and this morning the only moisture was what must have been left from yesterday when it was running. Maybe it leaked a few drops last night, but very little. I felt under the pump and it was dry. I turned it on and it started leaking again, but it was still dry under the pump. What does this tell us?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
General precaution would be to change out the shaft seal. Easy and cheap. There are tons of videos on how to change the shaft seal. Wet ends of pumps are pretty bullet proof, leaking shaft seals, drip water on the bearings, wash out the lubricant in the bearing, the bearing overheats, causes drag, makes a racket, then takes out the windings in the motor. If you're so inclined, you could change out the shaft seal and bearings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.