Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ashy skin issue

1. Back To Top    #1

Ashy skin issue

Okay, so I've followed the TFP way since my pool was built 2 years ago. I've only used pucks when I wanted to maintain chlorine levels while adding CYA, then it's only chlorine and muriatic acid. I've been maintaining my chlorine levels to match the recommendation for a CYA level of 80. I keep it here because my pool is in full sun from 0600 until about 1800 and I live in the desert with temps in the 100's starting at about 1100. So, with an FC level of 7, my wife (who grew up with a pool chlorinated with nothing but pucks and "no problems" and has not understood my need to do things the TFP way) told me this morning that she has ashy skin whenever she gets out of the pool and her swimsuit has a chlorine line from where she sits in the pool for hours reading. I'm not sure what to tell her when she uses this as evidence that I'm keeping the chlorine level too high, so I'm coming to you all here for advice on this issue. I don't know why it's doing that to her when I'm keeping it where the PoolMath tells me to. Please help. Thanks.
    20x40 ft. IG plaster pool, 26,850 Gallons, chlorine, Jandy Stealth Pro Series pump, Clear O3 ozonator, Nature2 Fusion, cartridge filter
    Rock slide/waterfall, raised spa with spillway into pool, 6x40 ft reef that's 18-inches deep, 30,000 BTU heater, TF-100 test kit to check it all

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Ashy skin issue

Can you post a full set of results? Her swimsuit shouldn't fade after sitting in it for a few hours.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

3. Back To Top    #3

Are you still using the ozonator on your pool? If so, I would shut it off. There is no ozone residual in your bulk pool water as a whole but if she's sitting in the pool near a return jet it could be possible that she's being hit with water that has ozone in it. O3 is both a powerful oxidizer (it will bleach things) and it can cause skin, eye & respiratory irritation. Also, if your CYA is 80ppm, then your minimum is 6ppm. Try dosing your water with chlorine when your wife is not in the pool or immediately after she has exited the pool that way the FC levels are lower while she's in the pool.

You can always try to operate at a slightly lower FC/CYA ratio if it makes your wife happier, you'll just need to be more diligent about measuring your levels and dosing.

Finally, if her primary complaint is skin dryness then adding salt to the pool can help to soften the feel of the water. Honestly speaking, spending "hours" sitting in a pool is not really good for anyone's skin (ask a dermatologist what they think about it). Water will, over time, strip a lot of the essential oils out of anyone's skin and osmotic pressure differences will change the balance of ionic conditions inside skin cells. This will invariably lead to dry skin and skin that is bloated with water (wrinkly/pruney skin). You might suggest she not sit in the water for so long....
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

Right on. Thanks for the info, JoyfulNoise. I'll bring that up to her. Below are my current levels, as of this morning.
    FC- 4.5
    pH- 7.5
    TA- 90
    CYA- 60

As you can see, CYA was a bit lower than I had originally stated. Sorry about that. The area my wife sits in is not anywhere near a return jet, so the ozonator should not be the culprit. I will dose it at night and let it mix well before she gets in next time.
    20x40 ft. IG plaster pool, 26,850 Gallons, chlorine, Jandy Stealth Pro Series pump, Clear O3 ozonator, Nature2 Fusion, cartridge filter
    Rock slide/waterfall, raised spa with spillway into pool, 6x40 ft reef that's 18-inches deep, 30,000 BTU heater, TF-100 test kit to check it all

5. Back To Top    #5

I always add bleach right before bed. No issues at average FC at 7-8

16 x 32 Sport Pool; Hayward Series Sand Filter S244T
    15,000 Gallons, In Ground with New Vinyl Liner
    Pool approx. Five Years Old. Live in KY

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Your FC is below the minimum for your CYA and you are at risk of algae and allowing harmful things to grow that can irritate eyes and skin. Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

What is your CH?

Salt and sometimes borates will help the water feel softer. Before adding either, please test and you might already have a little of each in your pool.

Add salt: adding salt to improve feel of water

Add borates: Borates - Why and How
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    2017 replaster/retile

7. Back To Top    #7

Tell her to apply vit c cream before and after swimming. It neutralizes any effect from chlorine on the skin. I don't personally have a problem with high FC on skin, but have heard this from this that do.

Secondly, and don't suggest this if she's in a bad mood because you might win the battle and lose the war...is her swimsuit a cheap one, or is it one that has specifically used chlorine resistant dyes? I have several and none have reacted to my pool when I previously kept it on the high side, eg 8, before swg, or now with SWG and lower FC but higher cya. I'm abing a hard time picturing any good swimsuit fading in these kind of conditions.

But politically speaking, you might just want to keep quiet about all that and treat her to a new swimsuit trust me, better to fund the good will account

Lastly, have you tried borates at 50 ppm? In addition to being a mild algaecide/fungicide and making the water sparkly, I personally find they make the water even softer.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

8. Back To Top    #8

Actually, my CH is really, really high. Last time I checked (earlier this week), it was at 675. The only way to get that down is to drain 60% of my pool, which is not going to happen. I live in the highest priced water district in our area, so no deal there. Could such a high CH be causing this problem?

9. Back To Top    #9

The white is probably scale, same for the skin. It sounds funny but I think that CSI needs to be managed as much for people as the pool. Enter your numbers in Poolmath and see what your CSI is. I bet it is above +0.6. Lower it to 0 to -0.3 and see if you have a happy wife and a happy pool. Or tell me I am crazy!

More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

You could look into a reverse osmosis to reduce CH or you could first try adding salt and borates.
    Karen
    2017 replaster/retile

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Copeyboy View Post
    Actually, my CH is really, really high. Last time I checked (earlier this week), it was at 675. The only way to get that down is to drain 60% of my pool, which is not going to happen. I live in the highest priced water district in our area, so no deal there. Could such a high CH be causing this problem?
    My CH is 850ppm. It's not a problem as long as you manage your CSI appropriately. My water feels great.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates