how to select what speed to run my pump at - Pentair 3hp 011018

whytry

Mar 9, 2016
El Dorado Hills, CA
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the help with helping me make the right choice for my pump. I ended up with the Pentair VS pump @ 3hp, and it is model 011018, I have been reading on the programming options, and length of time to run the pump. Now that I have the pump how do I know what program and speed to run it at? I have read some run 24hrs and some run for different cycles for other reasons, I was thinking of having it run at a higher speed during the heat of summer, like now, for approx 8-12 hours @ like 1100 rpm and then slowing it down for the remiander of the 24 hrs at a speed of like 400-750, since it can be slowed down to 400. What are your thoughts on this? I am new to pool ownership and this pump, so any feedback is appreciated. Also trying to save on my horrible PGE bill here as well.

I have the same pump, however I have infloor cleaning, solar heating and a SWG. So, I run several different speeds each day to support the different functions. The lowest speed I ever use is 1,000 rpm. It only uses about 100watts at that speed. I use 1400 rpm when running my SWG during mid day, and 2600 rpm to run an early morning cleaning cycle. Just because the pump will run as low as 450 rpm or as high as 3450 rpm, doesn't mean there is any reason to use either of those settings. The goal is to find the optimum speed for the task. I try to find the minimum speed to effectively accomplish the task, then add a couple hundred rpm to allow for a reduction in flow as the filter gets dirty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.