Cleaning SWG

I am very slowly trying to get up to speed on what I should have been doing all along.

This is the start of the 3rd season for our pool and I've never cleaned (or even inspected!) the SWG (Ironically you would have thought the pool store would have recommended it so they could sell me more stuff for doing it, but even though I asked several times last season as I was dealing with scale in my pool, they never said yes)

Very nervous about moving/removing any equipment. I read a number of posts here and googled you tube videos for the intellichlor SWG. I have the cap to put on my SWG and the acid. but Baby Steps. I thought I would remove and inspect it first....except that I can't get it unscrewed! I watched the videos closely to see if I was trying to twist it in the proper direction (yes, left loosey..but from which point of view?) From what I can tell, if I stood perpendicular to the inflow pipe , I would turn it left and that I turn it in the opposite direction where the water flows out...(i.e. it would be left if I physically walked to the other side of the SWG and faced it from that direction). So I think I'm trying to turn it the right direction. It is hard to get in there though because the SWG is kind of tucked away in between other pipes.

Any suggestions on a tool I should use to get it to loosen? I'm not handy at all. not at all. and I fear I would crack the plastic piping or connector or something if I used a tool. but if you do recommend a type of tool to use, can you be very specific? (I don't speak tool lingo so I'd have to google it and then buy it at Lowes). Sorry to be so inadequate!

Secondly, after the acid wash, where do you guys dump the dirty acid water? I'm thinking I shouldn't pour it down my sink's drain, but also assume it would kill the grass (hmm, maybe I should pour it on some of our many weeds haha)

Thanks!

swg - unscrew.jpg

Turn as arrows are pointing to unscrew.
Buying larger wrench to unscrew 4''+ fitting is expensive.
I use some cheap Rubber Strap Wrench, any big-box store has it, even Wallmart. Search "Rubber Strap Wrench" on Amazon and you'll find it.

I've actually cleaned my IC-40 this morning (first time in 2 years), there was no build up on blades at all, so cleaning was kinda useless, muratic acid didn't "bubbled" at all.

A very large "channel locks" (you can Google exactly that). But be VERY careful using these on plastic. If you feel you are muscling it too much, then give up. I'd rather have a dirty cell than a broken cell and/or adjacent pipe. When and If you get it off, just hand tighten for next time.

Check your pH at the time you clean it. The fact you have a SWG, chances are you will need MA for the pool anyway. Clean the cell on a day when you pH has crept up above 7.8 Then dump it in the pool when you are done.

Curious what dilution are you guys using to clean your cells? I started a new thread a few days ago on recommendations for cleaning cells, but no one really cared to input much info. Mind as well put it out there again in case anyone cares to share their cleaning methods. I am always nervous about going too strong that I am going to do more harm to the plates than good.

Curious what dilution are you guys using to clean your cells? I started a new thread a few days ago on recommendations for cleaning cells, but no one really cared to input much info. Mind as well put it out there again in case anyone cares to share their cleaning methods. I am always nervous about going too strong that I am going to do more harm to the plates than good.

Pentair recommends:

Mix one (1) quart of muriatic acid with one (1) gallon of tap water in a plastic bucket.

If rigorous foaming action does not begin, the blades do not need to be cleaned (STOP THE CLEANING
PROCESS - go on to step “e). Otherwise, allow the blades to remain immersed in the
solution until the foaming has stopped. However, do not leave acid in the IECG for more
than thirty (30) minutes. Excessive acid washing will damage the blades.

e. Remove the IECG from the bucket and place in an empty five (5) gallon bucket. Rinse the inside and
outside of the IECG thoroughly with clean tap water and inspect. If deposits are still visible, repeat
the acid cleaning process.

- - - Updated - - -

A very large "channel locks" (you can Google exactly that).
It's nice to have a very large "channel locks", but they are expensive.

With full strength acid use a 4:1 ratio of water to acid for the strongest strength mix at most. You could start at a 10:1 ratio if there is just a little scale inside the cell.

Never acid wash a cell is you can't see scale as each acid washing reduces the life of the cell by a bit.

I've never needed a wrench of any sort to get a cell off. If the union is tight, try unscrewing by twisting the cell body. That has always loosened up the unions just enough to unscrew them.

How often do you guys check the cell for scaling. I'm on summer 9 of this cell and have never clean or inspected it myself. My husband tells me that the PB who open and close our pool clean it in one of those activities. Since the "Clean" light has never come on and the SWG has always generated FC just fine, I've never worried about it.

Am I neglecting my SWG?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.