Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Install References?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Pool Install References?

What type of reference did you ask the PB for?

What questions did you ask the reference?

Did you visit the pool of the references you were given?

Thanks!
    Suncountry
    SunCountry
    South Phila PA area.

Sundance Spa; Chelsea (468 gallons). Former 28ft AGP owner for 20 years.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Install References?

I should mention the one builder I like has no BBB presence and nothing about installs with Angies List. He has been around a few years and does about 15-20 vinyl pools per year. I did not get his name from anyone I know with a pool. Thx!
    SunCountry
    South Phila PA area.

3. Back To Top    #3

Get references directly from the installer. If they don't give you any, move on.

You'll learn a lot just by asking the reference general questions like: Are you happy with how your pool turned out? Was the builder good to work with? Did the build and costs go according to plan? Visit them if you can but sometimes references may not be willing to allow it.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

In the back of my mind, I am wondering what stops the pool builder from have friends or paid references answer your calls. Call me a cynical..
    SunCountry
    South Phila PA area.

5. Back To Top    #5

Call the gunite/plaster installer directly. They will know all of the PBs and know which ones are good and good to work with.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

6. Back To Top    #6

The problem with asking for references in anything is that people on tend to give out the good ones, not the ones from the nightmare jobs where everything went wrong.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

Before I signed anything, my pool builder was willing to give me the information on his last 2 builds. Just ask for his last few pool builds.
    Xavier in Baytown, Texas
    Pool Built: 06May2016. 16ftx34ft, Area: 485 ft2, Depth: 4ft-6ft, Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Pentair FNS Plus D.E. Filter 48 sq. ft., Easy Touch 8 with wireless remote, IntelliBrite Pool Color LED, 640 Sq Ft of deck, 3 ton waterfall, Guesstimation: 17,000 gallons, Test Kit: Taylor K-2006C.

8. Back To Top    #8

We did the same thing. Took 5 bids and visited with customers from 3 of the PB's. We also got input from all of the fencing contractors that we were talking to. They were quite helpful as well.
    Central Md. 37 X 21 24K IG Custom Gunite with Anvil Quartz finish. Raised Spa.
    Sta-Rite Natural Gas Heater. Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Sta-Rite 450 sq ft. Cartridge Filter.
    Pentair 1.5 Hp Variable Speed Pump. TF100. Dolphin Z-5. First swim 5/26/16

9. Back To Top    #9

I asked our soon-to-be PB for references and he provided three. I asked them if they'd describe their experience overall; what, if anything, went wrong and how it was resolved; and whether they would use him again if they had it to do over.

I heard back from all three, and all pointed out some things that could have gone better, but none hesitated to recommend him. I felt like I was getting honest info since their reviews were not perfect.

One offered to have us come look at their pool anytime. Haven't taken them up on it yet.
    8K gal 13'Wx19'L IG kidney. 3.5' to 5'6" depth. Pentair: Ultratemp 120 heater/chiller; Intelliflo 2 VS pump; Intellichlor IC40 SWG; cartridge filter; EasyTouch controller. 3 wall returns, 1 skimmer, 1 cleaner line. Tremron Oak Run coping and pavers. Noble Tile Toscano waterline. Marbletite's Freestone pebble in St. Thomas. TF100 and K1766 test kits.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by misplacetexan View Post
    Before I signed anything, my pool builder was willing to give me the information on his last 2 builds. Just ask for his last few pool builds.
    I like this idea because it gives the most recent info. I was also thinking I might also ask for a reference from last year and another several years ago. I think getting the most recent reviews may be the most honest. They remember anything negative and are willing to share it. It is also less likely the references can be cherry picked by the pool builder.
    SunCountry
    South Phila PA area.