Pool is fizzy (effervescence) & eating bleach like crazy (not efflorescence)

bownut

Gold Supporter
May 7, 2016
Fayetteville
FC .4
CC .6
pH 7.8
TA 110
CH 20
CYA 45
Salt 3600

So I got lazy and didn't check my chlorine levels for days... several kids went swimming, water got cloudy. I tested the water yesterday morning and all my CYA was gone and my FC was 0. After reading through the forums I thought maybe I have a bacteria problem and they consumed my CYA. Because the installer is putting in the salt cell today, I was desperate to get the CYA level back up and kill whatever was destroying my bleach. I also brought the salt level up to 3600 ppm for the SWG yesterday as well. I used liquid CYA and over the course of the day testing and retesting added the equivalent of 34 ppm FC. Last dose was last night around 10 pm (level was 2.4 FC at the time), .4 FC this morning. Added another 11 ppm about an hour ago and you can see my results above. I am heading out to shock again.

Here what is weird. Last night as I was testing the chlorine around 6 pm, I noticed that I was getting this minute bubbles, I mean tiny, tiny in my test sample. When I would swirl the sample, they would form a tornado and then float to the top when the current slowed. I also noticed that when I would put in the R0871, it might turn the sample clear and then it would slowly turn back light pink. For my experience it was unusual. When I tested an hour ago, the same thing happened. And now most of the top of the pool is covered is these minute, I mean tinier than the width of a hair, bubbles everywhere. It isn't scum, it is bubbles.

IMG_20160610_112048932_TOP.jpg

Please ignore the fact that my water is super cloudy, I am still clearing up from my initial swamp and my filter is a temporary sand filter.

More important than what the bubbles are all about, your FC is too low. Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

I would suggest learning to manage your pool without a SWG before turning it on. Also a SLAM.

Also, you can use a 10ml pool sample for your FC/CC tests. Then each 871 drop = 0.5

Yeah, I got lazy on maintaining the pool for a few days. Long story short, had a swamp, installer put in too small equipment, I have learned everything the hard way for almost two months. I am pretty adept at CYA, SLAM, testing, etc. I really just want to know if the bubbles are a problem. Everything else is what I would expect for my negligence.

The gas is probably either oxygen or nitrogen as a result of the chlorine interacting with organics.

Here's more than you'll probably every want to know. Pool Water Chemistry

Also re-reading my previous post it comes across harsher and more abrupt as I intended, sorry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.