Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High TA from city water

1. Back To Top    #1

High TA from city water

Allentown PA. My friends pool was reading 130ppm TA. She had topped off the pool upon recent opening with the garden hose. I asked her to measure her tap water (mine measures 30ppm, I live in a different county). Hers measured 150+ ppm TA. She asked the water company for the recent water quality report and they told her that recent sampling from her neighborhood ranged from 170-231ppm with an average of 194ppm. This sounds very high to me. What are her options to get the TA down in her pool. You ever see it that high from city water?
    She has an AGP, vinyl liner.
    28K gallon, raised beam, plaster/ceramic color quartz with attached spa. TF-100 test kit
    Hayward 1.5HP super pump, DE4800 DE filter, Hayward inline chlorinator w/3" tabs (off)
    Pool: 2 floor drains, 2 skimmers, 3 floor returns, 2 wall returns, 3.5' deep > 8' deep
    Spa: 2 floor drains, 4 jet returns

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High TA from city water

You will lower TA using an acid/aeration rotation method as noted on the TFP Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity page. The instructions are quite clear, but if you have any questions, just let us know.

FYI - Some areas of the country have much higher TA.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

My tap water routinely tests out at 250 ppm. I feel the same pain every spring pool fill and every spa refill.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

Mine is 400 or 440
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the instruction and feedback. Appreciate it.
    28K gallon, raised beam, plaster/ceramic color quartz with attached spa. TF-100 test kit
    Hayward 1.5HP super pump, DE4800 DE filter, Hayward inline chlorinator w/3" tabs (off)
    Pool: 2 floor drains, 2 skimmers, 3 floor returns, 2 wall returns, 3.5' deep > 8' deep
    Spa: 2 floor drains, 4 jet returns