Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting Close

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting Close

I'm getting close to finally being able to enjoy my pool for the first time.

Last Night:
    • CL - 5
    • pH - 7.2
    • FC - 11.5 (23 x 0.5)
    • CC - 1 (2 x 0.5)
    • TA - 110 (I didn't touch this)

I didn't add any chlorine since my FC was .5 from shock level.

This Morning:
    • CL - 5
    • pH - 7.2
    • FC - 12.5 (25 x 0.5)
    • CC - 0.5 (2 x 0.5)
    • CYA - 30 (could be 45)
    • TA - 110 (Added a little bit of Muriatic acid)
    • CH - 175 (Slowly adding CH I purchased from Lowes.)

I forgot to take the chlorine tablet out so I'm guessing that's how my FC increased. I started with no CYA so at the time I wasn't concerned with the tablet but I'm sure it's time to take it out until the water is properly balanced.

Now I have to get it to clear up. Without my skimmer working I have to do some extra manual labor.
    35x18 21,300 Gallon Pool with 8 752 Gallon Overflow Spa || IG || Plaster || DE Filter (American Products) 48 SQ FT || American Model 72 Separation Tank) || GAS Pool Heater (Comfort Zone) || 1HP Jandy || 1.5HP Sta-rite Dura Glas pump || Maryland || TF100 Testkit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Getting Close

This evening: I took the readings and then had to hurry and leave the house so I couldn't add Chlorine nor did I get a chance to brush. I'm going to try to go out there and do it now.
    • Cl - 5
    • PH - 6.8
    • FC - 9
    • CC - 1
    • TA - 100
    • CYA - 40
    35x18 21,300 Gallon Pool with 8 752 Gallon Overflow Spa || IG || Plaster || DE Filter (American Products) 48 SQ FT || American Model 72 Separation Tank) || GAS Pool Heater (Comfort Zone) || 1HP Jandy || 1.5HP Sta-rite Dura Glas pump || Maryland || TF100 Testkit

3. Back To Top    #3

My water still isn't clear. I think there's a hole in the filter grids and DE is entering the pool but I could be wrong. When I brush it seems as theres's a slight white cloud that arise. I added DE via the spa drains my skimmer is broke. I made sure the returns to the pool was turned off. I'm unable to vacuums since my skimmer is broke and there's a hole in the separation tank bag. So close... More reading and research to do. Think I'm going to just call a pool company.

This Morning:
    Cl - 5 (orange-ish)
    PH - 7.2
    FC - 13
    CC - 0
    TA - 110

4. Back To Top    #4

Proper circulation and filtering is pretty much a must of you want the pool to be clear and sparkling.

The water itself could be perfect, but any debris, even microscopic stuff, is going to cloud the water until it gets filtered out.

You just plain have to get the skimmer working and vacuum up what you can and then you'll know if the filter is leaking DE or not.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you Richard! Hopefully I can find time to dig today and maybe figure out another way to vacuum the bottom of the pool.