Stenner, completely lost on choices and options.

Oct 14, 2015
Dallas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I was about to consider pulling the trigger on a salt water chlorinator when I started reading this forum about a Stenner pump and barrel. Now I'm pretty much 100% onboard with it but I need to figure out which ones to get..

I want to do a dual stenner setup (one for chlorine and one for muratic acid), but I'm going to lean towards just a single setup for Chlorine.

1. For Chlorine, is a 15 or 30 gallon barrel needed? I'm guessing 15 atm for if I get it working well I can always swap it over to be the muratic acid barrel. The "barrel" will be in the pool shed.
  2. My pool setup has no wireless automation, so which pump has a viable timer, either manual or automated.
  3. Do they sell complete kits of these and where could they be found.
  4. The feed line into the pool.. is there a minimum/maximum distance it can be? The run from the location I intend to put the barrel/pump from the feed line is about 7 feet.
  5. Does the 25psi or the 100psi matter (I'd probably go with 25psi as I don't think I would need that much pressure to move chlorine)

Thanks.

There are a ton of Stenner build threads on the forum if you go to advanced search and use stenner for the search term you will find them no problem.

The size of your tank depends on the size of your pool (amont of chlorine uesed each day) and your tolarance for refilling the tank. I use a 3 gallon bucket but I only use 10oz of MA and 30oz of chlorine per day and I like forceing myself to monitor the condtion of my equipment by refilling more frequently than most do.

Most go for fixed rate pumps and use time to adjusting doseing.

The consensus is 25psi will work since the injection point is on the return and proabaly below the presure of your pool anyway. That being said I bought the 100psi modle since the cost was not much more. The only difference between the 2 is the check valve at the injection point, the pumps are the same.

7 feet from tank to injection point is not a problem distance from the pool does not matter you inject at your equipment pad after the filter.

The pumps don't have built in timers most just use a woods timer however a unser named Tripletrouble just found THIS and it seems promising as a web connected option.

They do sell complete tank/pump kits but they tend to cost more than buying the parts seprate and assembeling them yourself the 2 vendors I see metnoned alot are lockewell and uswatersystems

There are a ton of Stenner build threads on the forum if you go to advanced search and use stenner for the search term you will find them no problem.

The size of your tank depends on the size of your pool (amont of chlorine uesed each day) and your tolarance for refilling the tank. I use a 3 gallon bucket but I only use 10oz of MA and 30oz of chlorine per day and I like forceing myself to monitor the condtion of my equipment by refilling more frequently than most do.

Most go for fixed rate pumps and use time to adjusting doseing.

The consensus is 25psi will work since the injection point is on the return and proabaly below the presure of your pool anyway. That being said I bought the 100psi modle since the cost was not much more. The only difference between the 2 is the check valve at the injection point, the pumps are the same.

7 feet from tank to injection point is not a problem distance from the pool does not matter you inject at your equipment pad after the filter.

The pumps don't have built in timers most just use a woods timer however a unser named Tripletrouble just found THIS and it seems promising as a web connected option.

They do sell complete tank/pump kits but they tend to cost more than buying the parts seprate and assembeling them yourself the 2 vendors I see metnoned alot are lockewell and uswatersystems

Thank you for the feedback on this.

My pools a bit of a chlorine guzzler. this is mostly due to the large amount of rain recently and the reduction of the cya in the pool atm. I'm pucking it to bring it up. I'm still trying to find a good middle ground which is why I'm going down this pump way. I'd say about 50 oz a day of chlorine. but I think It would drop to 40 or less once the CYA is up again (yes it rained that much). But getting back to my questions and incorporating your suggestions

1. Going to start with a 15 gallon drum to begin with. Assuming 50oz a day, that should last over 30 days before having to refill with 15 bottles of bleach.
  2. I looked at that outlet wireless item linked before. While interesting, I'm looking for more of a automated timer based setup. Something that I can setup to run for an hour once a day when the inteliflo starts up on higher speed. I don't really care if its wireless or not, just that it is automatic to start.
  3. I'll see if I can part out a kit for less.
  4. Glad to know there is no distance issue.
  5. If the difference between 100 psi and 25 psi is nominal then I won't care.

So really the only question is #2, the automation part of it and how to set it up, and whether any of these pumps have one built in.

I'm leaning towards the stenner econ series, probably the E20T4F, which is a 18 oz hour at 80psi version. I don't think I would need a 65 oz hour at 80 psi version unless I want it to run less than 1 hour a day. I think having it run 3 times a day would work out better than doing the full dose all at once, but correct me if I am wrong. I believe I would have a little more granular control this way than the larger G series Econ pump.

The wion plug allows for scheduleing down to the miute for up to 12 programs take a look at the video on the amazon page and THIS thread, you can also just use a digital timer. I just ordered a wion wall swithc to play with, my hope is to be able to put it in an outdorr rated box wiht a cover and adjust schedules on my phone without having to stand in the sun at my equipment pad, if it works the way I envision and if not I can always use it for landscap lights or something.

Most buy the 45MP series pumps in either 3GPD or 10GPD the only difference between the 2 is the roler tube you can make a 10GPD into a 3 GPD by changing the tube. From the threads I have read 10GPD is most common agin with down to the miute timing almost any modle will work. I don't have any info on the econ series but since it is a stenner I am sure it will serve.

All I have to figure out is wiring now as there is no plug-in outlet. I'll see about tapping into the on-off switch and adding a outlet off of it (gonna need 2 for future plans).

Thank you again.

Stenner is not the only option for peristaltic pumps, and some are available with integrated timers. I was pretty close to going the Stenner route, simply because that's what most people here use and recommend, but a couple of years ago I happened to see a Beta DR-2000 dosing pump on eBay for about $40 delivered. I figured for that price, I'd take a chance on it, and I've been using it since.

The DR-2000 is programmable, it has a weekly timer and you can program up to 24 events. I think the flow rate varies depending on the tube, the one I have flows about 5 oz/minute, and you can schedule each event to run anywhere from 1 second to 19 minutes and 59 seconds. I use two events on mine, each one runs for about 3 minutes every day of the week for a total of about 30 oz. If my FC tests low, I add time to one of the events, if it tests high, I take a little time off.

I've had no problems with the pump at all, my only issues have been leaks in the supply tubing, but that's because I went the cheap route and got my tubing from Lowes. This year I ordered UV resistant tubing and haven't had any problems so far. I don't know how old the pump tube was that was in the pump when I got it, but I wanted to replaced it before it failed, so I put a new tube in a few months ago. Speaking of pump tubes, the pump is available with a Silicone or Viton tube, I don't think the Silicone tube is suitable for chlorine. My pump originally had the Viton tube, but I replaced it with a Norprene tube because the Norprene tube was much cheaper and still has good resistance to chlorine. I guess in a couple of years I'll know if that was a good decision.

I don't know how much the Stenner pumps run, but you could get a brand new DR-2000 for around $235 from Cannon Water Technology. I have no connection to them, but I did buy my new pump tube, chemical feed tube, and injection fitting from them and got excellent service. I've also seen a few decent deals on eBay, if I ever see another one for $40 I'm going to pick it up just to have a spare.

As for a tank, I ended up using a 5 gallon bucket with a screw-on lid. I went that route when I first started testing the pump because I was looking for the cheapest possible solution, but it's worked so well I haven't upgraded to a larger tank, I just make it a point to top the bucket off every weekend.

Like I said before, I have no affiliation with Beta or Cannon Water Technology, I just thought I'd share my experience with a programmable pump.

Russ

All I have to figure out is wiring now as there is no plug-in outlet. I'll see about tapping into the on-off switch and adding a outlet off of it (gonna need 2 for future plans).

Thank you again.

Electrical was my big problem as well. When my pool was built (before I owned the house), the electrical box at the equipment pad was wired for 240v only, there was no neutral back to the main panel. I ended up having to extend another branch circuit to add a 120v GFCI outlet for my dosing pump and stereo equipment.

Russ

Looks like there's a Beta DR-2000 on eBay from a privite seller right now for $98 quite a bit less than a Stenner.

I see one on eBay for $85.50+Shipping, is that the one you saw? I think I've seen that one listed several times. Assuming the photo is correct, that's the 6VDC version that runs off of D-Cell batteries, the AC version is just the right half of what's in the picture. I'm not sure if there's an easy way to convert it to AC or not. Also, it looks like that one has the Silicone tube, the Viton tube is black.

Russ

Good catch on the input power options, I don't see in the positing where they say what the voltage is so it could well be the one you saw, guess you would have to ask the seller to be sure. Even if you had to buy a 6VDC transformer would still be the cheaper than Stenner.

If I were going to pay retail I would go with the Stenner one of the main reasons they are so popular on the site is almost any part can be serviced and parts are readily available.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Figured out my intelli is 230v so ordering a 230 Stenner. Will be setting up the wiring when the Stenner shows up and I know the shape of the plug for the outlet installation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.