Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ant in sand pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Ant in sand pump

Ok hope this is in the right place. I keep having ants build mounds inside my pump and salt water generator.

Anyone else have this problem or a solution. I lost one pump that was stored and I never noticed they had built up in the housing. Pull the pump to use and it's rusted shut.

Intex ultra frame 22 x52
    intex sand filter and pump
    intex saltwater generator

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Ant in sand pump

Unclear on your problme, it sounds like you are saying the ants get in there when you are stored for the winter. My boss has a DE filter for his pool and he mentioned the other day that Ants seem to hate the DE he apearntly has alot aound his yard except where he backwashes.

Makes me wonder if you were to add a little DE to your sand filter would that keep them out, I do not have a sand or DE filter so I would want someone with experiance to chime in on the idea espcaly the amount to add if they think it is even a good idea in the first place.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

3. Back To Top    #3

Not when I store it. They build nests in and around the pump motor housing while in use. I put poison and kill them then a week or so later they are back

Intex ultra frame 22 x52

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

For general pest control I used to go to the hardware store and by Ortho or black flag whatever the house brand was. $20 or so bucks later I would come home and spray the stuff all around and hope for the best I was never happy with the results. I finally turned to the web and found do my own pest control. They are not the only site just the one I landed on I bought a bottle of Termidor SC. It was more money than I have ever spent at one time on bug killer but 2 years later I still have 1/4 of the bottle. If I were still going to the hardware store I would have spent $150 or more for gallons of stuff that doesn't work. I spray around the house every 4 to 6 weeks (less in the winter) and the only ants or any bug for that matter I see are in the back of the yard that I don't often spray. Do yourself a favor stay away from the watered down residential bug killer buy professional grade stuff use it as directed and I think you will be happier.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

There is an antkiller that is dirt cheap and we found to be VERY effective.....Terro
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

If you sprinkle DE (food grade...not sure if pool grade works as well on ants) in the problem areas they should be gone
    permanently...it destroys their bodies.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the suggestions. DE pool grade would be great if it works. I always keep a little on hand to help clear up my water and make my sand filter work a little better

Intex ultra frame 22 x52

8. Back To Top    #8

Because pool grade DE is calcinated, it's not supposed to be used around animals or humans outside of an enclosed filter. Both would work equally well in repelling ants, but pool grade shouldn't be sprinkled around in the soil. It's most dangerous when inhaled, not sure how hazardous pool grade would be if ingested but likely only would be dangerous is ingested chronically.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons