Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DIY lawn care? Anyone?

1. Back To Top    #1

DIY lawn care? Anyone?

I love the DIY philosophy of the TFP pool method. Has anyone done anything similar with their lawn care? When I lived in California it was fairly easy to maintain a good looking and healthy lawn myself. Now that I live in Florida though, it seems like it's much more complicated with things like cinch bugs and other pests that have to be treated for in addition to weeds. I currently pay for a lawn care service but it's over $500 per year and I still have weeds. I'm thinking I'd like to save some of that money and do it myself if I knew what I needed. All my neighbors have lawn service so there's no one I can ask.
    Pool completed 3/21/2016
    8800 gallons, plaster 14' x 24', 3/4 hp Hayward pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Blue Essence T-5 SWG, Kreepy Krauly Kruiser, Taylor K-2006 test kit with Speedstir, Taylor K-1766 salt test and 250 sq. ft. of Heliocol solar panels with Pentair Solartouch control system

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DIY lawn care? Anyone?

There's a whole internet you can ask based on your type of grass and what is required for certain problems.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    There's a whole internet you can ask based on your type of grass and what is required for certain problems.
    I know but I respect the opinions of people in this forum and just thought I'd ask. Lots of bogus information on the web
    Pool completed 3/21/2016
    8800 gallons, plaster 14' x 24', 3/4 hp Hayward pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Blue Essence T-5 SWG, Kreepy Krauly Kruiser, Taylor K-2006 test kit with Speedstir, Taylor K-1766 salt test and 250 sq. ft. of Heliocol solar panels with Pentair Solartouch control system

4. Back To Top    #4

Perhaps you can try Trouble Free Lawn.

Thats assuming that there is such a site.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by WASP View Post
    Perhaps you can try Trouble Free Lawn.

Thats assuming that there is such a site.
    Don't I wish...

Pool completed 3/21/2016

6. Back To Top    #6

I read aroundtheyard.com, it's much like this forum.....
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jrguzmanr View Post
    I'll check it out. Thanks.

Pool completed 3/21/2016

8. Back To Top    #8

What kind of grass do you have? (That sounds really bad...! LOL!) We have St. Augustine's and use Scott's Turf Builder for Southern lawns (or something like that) on it every spring. Weeds are minimal.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Marlahoutex View Post
    What kind of grass do you have? (That sounds really bad...! LOL!) We have St. Augustine's and use Scott's Turf Builder for Southern lawns (or something like that) on it every spring. Weeds are minimal.
    It is St. Augustine so I'll look into that product. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Pool completed 3/21/2016

10. Back To Top    #10

Trouble Free Lawn = Artificial grass !

I'd rather waste my water filling my pool. Seriously, best investment I ever made. Beautiful patch of turf right outside my back door. Never needs watering, mowing, fertilizing, etc, etc. My neighbor just put in 1000sq ft of sod. Already has brown patches, constantly fiddles with the watering schedule, etc, etc.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

11. Back To Top    #11

The University of Florida is a great resource for just about everything having to do with Florida

ENH5/LH010: St. Augustinegrass for Florida Lawns

Edited to add: Make sure you never mow St. Augustine grass too low. It will stay much healthier (and more dense, crowding out weeds) if you don't scalp it.
    SaveSave
    8K gal 13'Wx19'L IG kidney. 3.5' to 5'6" depth. Pentair: Ultratemp 120 heater/chiller; Intelliflo 2 VS pump; Intellichlor IC40 SWG; cartridge filter; EasyTouch controller. 3 wall returns, 1 skimmer, 1 cleaner line. Tremron Oak Run coping and pavers. Noble Tile Toscano waterline. Marbletite's Freestone pebble in St. Thomas. TF100 and K1766 test kits.

12. Back To Top    #12

Easy in California? Up till June 1 I could water my lawn one day a week for 10 minutes. For some reason in May my lawn didn't like that and rebelled by turning Brown.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

13. Back To Top    #13

Florida here with St Augustine. A lot of it has to do with your quality of soil/pH of the soil etc. I have done the Scott's plan and it works fine. I lost a lot of grass to chinch bugs last summer. This year, I am working on an organic plan using Milorganite and corn meal. Search around online, there are quite a few lawn geeks that use this type of method. If the St. Augustine is strong and healthy, the weeds will get crowded out. I'm still working on the strong and healthy part lol.
    10,000 gallon in ground diamond brite, Circupool si30+, Hayward C900 cartridge, 1.5hp Flotec single speed pump

14. Back To Top    #14

Check out the LawnCareNut Allyn Hayne on YouTube! I've been following him for the last year and my grass has never looked better.

36,000 Gallon Inground (IG) Gunite Pool with Spa and 12" tanning ledge | White Plaster | Cartridge Filter | Hayward Single Speed Pump (x2) | 400k BTU Hayward Heater | Hayward ProLogic Automation | Taylor K2006 Test Kit | In-pool Cleaner | August / September 2016 Build Date | Build Thread

15. Back To Top    #15

I use the Scott's turf stuff here, I fertilize in March and May, and my lawnmower is set at the highest it could be, sprinklers come on at 9:30pm and 6:00am,,, the main key to me in my experience in the last two homes I lived in was cutting the lawn at the highest setting, always had compliments on how thick and green it looked.
    2016 pool build.... 18k gal. freeform style, built in round table, 18" jumping platform, travertine coping upgrade, travertine waterline, peagravel decking, saltwater pool (no spa), Quartzscape blue., 1.5hp Pentair pump, JANDY SWG, 48sqft Pentair DE filter, TFP-100 kit w/speedstir MYPoolBuild

16. Back To Top    #16

The 2 yr. bi-monthly contract I have for fertilizer, weeds & cinch bugs will be over with the July treatment.
    I'm not renewing as I was never satisfied with their work. I will save a lot doing my own and get better results.

As for cutting the lawn I will stay with the lawn service I have now.
    Not up to buying equipment & tackling that job now although I would have better results doing it myself.

Got my new pool hopefully starting up next week.
    My 2016 Build 14'x19'x35' IG Gunite 15K Gal. Roman, 4'-5' deep, 6 returns, 3 sheers
    4 deck jets, 2 Pentair XF22005 Pumps, Clean&Clear 200 Cartridge Filter, Brick Coping
    2 Pentair 5g 12v LED Pool Lights, 1 Pentair 12v Globrite LED in step area, 2 Bubblers
    Inline Chlorinator - SWG later, WetEdge Mediterranean Pebble, Intermatic MultiWave
    43'x33' Screened Paver Deck&15'x30' Lanai, Doheny Discovery (S200) Robot, TF-100

17. Back To Top    #17

I highly recommend a fertigator. It plugs into the sprinkler system and delivers a small amount of fertilizer while watering. My front yard looks great, green, and thick using this. The back I'm still recovering from the bobcat that came in to dig my pool. I just killed off a lot of crabgrass in the back, which isn't helping either. Apparently got a bad pallet of grass. It's St. Augustine as well.

EZ Flo Main Line Units for Sprinkler System Fertigation -- If you want to check it out.
    16,500 gallon in-ground pool and spa with Quartzscapes Midnight-blue and pretty sparkles
    Aqualink RS with PDA
    Jandy Pro Series Plus HP 2 HP 2 Speed Pump
    Jandy CV460 Cartridge Filter

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by jrguzmanr View Post
    Came to second this.

There are some parallels to pool care too. Sending out samples to understand your soil chemistry, etc. Great place to start.
    38,000 gallon In-Ground, gunite bottom/fiberglass wall (older style I've not seen elsewhere)
    Sand Filter, Hayward 1HP SuperFlow 2 (not sure flow rate)
    Built @1980