DIY lawn care? Anyone?

Flbeachluvr

Bronze Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Port Orange, FL
I love the DIY philosophy of the TFP pool method. Has anyone done anything similar with their lawn care? When I lived in California it was fairly easy to maintain a good looking and healthy lawn myself. Now that I live in Florida though, it seems like it's much more complicated with things like cinch bugs and other pests that have to be treated for in addition to weeds. I currently pay for a lawn care service but it's over $500 per year and I still have weeds. I'm thinking I'd like to save some of that money and do it myself if I knew what I needed. All my neighbors have lawn service so there's no one I can ask.

Trouble Free Lawn = Artificial grass !

I'd rather waste my water filling my pool. Seriously, best investment I ever made. Beautiful patch of turf right outside my back door. Never needs watering, mowing, fertilizing, etc, etc. My neighbor just put in 1000sq ft of sod. Already has brown patches, constantly fiddles with the watering schedule, etc, etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Florida here with St Augustine. A lot of it has to do with your quality of soil/pH of the soil etc. I have done the Scott's plan and it works fine. I lost a lot of grass to chinch bugs last summer. This year, I am working on an organic plan using Milorganite and corn meal. Search around online, there are quite a few lawn geeks that use this type of method. If the St. Augustine is strong and healthy, the weeds will get crowded out. I'm still working on the strong and healthy part lol.

I use the Scott's turf stuff here, I fertilize in March and May, and my lawnmower is set at the highest it could be, sprinklers come on at 9:30pm and 6:00am,,, the main key to me in my experience in the last two homes I lived in was cutting the lawn at the highest setting, always had compliments on how thick and green it looked.

The 2 yr. bi-monthly contract I have for fertilizer, weeds & cinch bugs will be over with the July treatment.
I'm not renewing as I was never satisfied with their work. I will save a lot doing my own and get better results.

As for cutting the lawn I will stay with the lawn service I have now.
Not up to buying equipment & tackling that job now although I would have better results doing it myself.

Got my new pool hopefully starting up next week.

I highly recommend a fertigator. It plugs into the sprinkler system and delivers a small amount of fertilizer while watering. My front yard looks great, green, and thick using this. The back I'm still recovering from the bobcat that came in to dig my pool. I just killed off a lot of crabgrass in the back, which isn't helping either. Apparently got a bad pallet of grass. It's St. Augustine as well.

EZ Flo Main Line Units for Sprinkler System Fertigation -- If you want to check it out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.