Vacation with high pH

Flbeachluvr

Bronze Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Port Orange, FL
Planning ahead for our week of vacation next month. We will have someone coming in to take care of our dogs and water plants, etc. Due to the newness of our plaster I'm still having to add MA at least every other day as my pH tests at well over 8. Since MA isn't something I enjoy handling I feel like it would be too much to ask someone else to add.

Would it be horrible for the pool if I brought the pH to around 7 the morning we leave and then just leave it for the week? The SWG will take care of the chlorine so the MA is the only concern.

Maybe just ask them to put in X amount halfway through the week. I find that if i poor it in slowly over the return straight from the bottle, it is not that bad. Maybe you could pre-measure X amount and put it in a jug and ask them to just reach out and pour slowly in the return and don't sniff it.

Maybe just ask them to put in X amount halfway through the week. I find that if i poor it in slowly over the return straight from the bottle, it is not that bad. Maybe you could pre-measure X amount and put it in a jug and ask them to just reach out and pour slowly in the return and don't sniff it.

I'd just feel bad if the house sitter didn't fully understand the dangers of MA and something happened. I guess I could leave a pre-measured amount in a jug and have her pour it in mid-week. Something would be better than nothing.

You could stuff a floater with trichlor pucks. They're very acidic and will help keep pH in check. 4 pucks will add only 10 CYA. You can replace some water when you get back, or just wait for the rain.

No floater and don't want to buy pucks. I need to save my $ for my vacation :snorkle: I think I'll just premix the amount of acid for one mid-week dose with some water and make sure she knows to be careful handling it.

You could stuff a floater with trichlor pucks. They're very acidic and will help keep pH in check. 4 pucks will add only 10 CYA. You can replace some water when you get back, or just wait for the rain.

Reconsidering this option as our vacation date fast approaches :party: but I'm wondering if it's possible to just buy a small amount of the pucks? Is that something a local chain pool store would have? My CYA is on the low side right now (60) the last time I tested. Would 4 pucks keep the ph at a reasonable level if I brought it down to around 7 before leaving or should I bring the ph down and then have the house sitter add the floater mid week? Would these be 4" pucks? I've never seen one in my life so I have no idea how they work.

They are 3" and they do sell smaller jugs, 5 or 10 lbs. They are helpful in removing organic stains too, so they would all probably get used eventually.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay thanks. Per Richard320's earlier post I guess I'll just try putting in 4 of the pucks in a floater. Should I put them in before I leave or have the house sitter put them in mid week? I did just retest my CYA and its 60 so I do have some wiggle room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.