Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacation with high pH

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacation with high pH

Planning ahead for our week of vacation next month. We will have someone coming in to take care of our dogs and water plants, etc. Due to the newness of our plaster I'm still having to add MA at least every other day as my pH tests at well over 8. Since MA isn't something I enjoy handling I feel like it would be too much to ask someone else to add.

Would it be horrible for the pool if I brought the pH to around 7 the morning we leave and then just leave it for the week? The SWG will take care of the chlorine so the MA is the only concern.
    Pool completed 3/21/2016
    8800 gallons, plaster 14' x 24', 3/4 hp Hayward pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Blue Essence T-5 SWG, Kreepy Krauly Kruiser, Taylor K-2006 test kit with Speedstir, Taylor K-1766 salt test and 250 sq. ft. of Heliocol solar panels with Pentair Solartouch control system

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacation with high pH

Maybe just ask them to put in X amount halfway through the week. I find that if i poor it in slowly over the return straight from the bottle, it is not that bad. Maybe you could pre-measure X amount and put it in a jug and ask them to just reach out and pour slowly in the return and don't sniff it.
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by mgmoore7 View Post
    Maybe just ask them to put in X amount halfway through the week. I find that if i poor it in slowly over the return straight from the bottle, it is not that bad. Maybe you could pre-measure X amount and put it in a jug and ask them to just reach out and pour slowly in the return and don't sniff it.
    I'd just feel bad if the house sitter didn't fully understand the dangers of MA and something happened. I guess I could leave a pre-measured amount in a jug and have her pour it in mid-week. Something would be better than nothing.
    Pool completed 3/21/2016
    8800 gallons, plaster 14' x 24', 3/4 hp Hayward pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Blue Essence T-5 SWG, Kreepy Krauly Kruiser, Taylor K-2006 test kit with Speedstir, Taylor K-1766 salt test and 250 sq. ft. of Heliocol solar panels with Pentair Solartouch control system

4. Back To Top    #4

Maybe even dilute it down or get a jug of the 'low odor' stuff?
    John - 16,000 gallon | in ground | pebble | Triton II sand filter | TF100 | speedstir | Hayward Phoenix 2x

5. Back To Top    #5

You could stuff a floater with trichlor pucks. They're very acidic and will help keep pH in check. 4 pucks will add only 10 CYA. You can replace some water when you get back, or just wait for the rain.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    You could stuff a floater with trichlor pucks. They're very acidic and will help keep pH in check. 4 pucks will add only 10 CYA. You can replace some water when you get back, or just wait for the rain.
    No floater and don't want to buy pucks. I need to save my $ for my vacation I think I'll just premix the amount of acid for one mid-week dose with some water and make sure she knows to be careful handling it.
    Pool completed 3/21/2016

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Reconsidering this option as our vacation date fast approaches but I'm wondering if it's possible to just buy a small amount of the pucks? Is that something a local chain pool store would have? My CYA is on the low side right now (60) the last time I tested. Would 4 pucks keep the ph at a reasonable level if I brought it down to around 7 before leaving or should I bring the ph down and then have the house sitter add the floater mid week? Would these be 4" pucks? I've never seen one in my life so I have no idea how they work.
    Pool completed 3/21/2016

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

They are 3" and they do sell smaller jugs, 5 or 10 lbs. They are helpful in removing organic stains too, so they would all probably get used eventually.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

9. Back To Top    #9

Pool completed 3/21/2016

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Yep, and that looks like a pretty good deal too.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL

11. Back To Top    #11

Okay thanks. Per Richard320's earlier post I guess I'll just try putting in 4 of the pucks in a floater. Should I put them in before I leave or have the house sitter put them in mid week? I did just retest my CYA and its 60 so I do have some wiggle room.

Pool completed 3/21/2016

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

If it's only a week, I'd bring it up to SLAM before I left and leave the pre-loaded floater to be put in mid week.

13. Back To Top    #13

I do have a SWG so my chlorine levels should hold steady and the pucks should keep it up as well. I'm mainly concerned with the ph rising due to the still new plaster.

Pool completed 3/21/2016

14. Back To Top    #14

I would lower it to 7.2 and go have fun. A couple of days around 8.0 won't hurt anything.
    36' x 18' 20k in ground, Finest Finish grey plaster, Pentair Tagelus 100D sand filter, Hayward Northstar 2hp pump, Jandy LRZ125EN heater, spill over spa, iaqualink controlled automation, Stenner chlorination, natural rock and flagstone coping, 1" glass mosaic waterline tile, SR Smith Vortex slide.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by smracing View Post
    I would lower it to 7.2 and go have fun. A couple of days around 8.0 won't hurt anything.
    Thanks!

Pool completed 3/21/2016